Overview: University Settlement is one of New York City's most dynamic social justice institutions, with an impressive legacy as the first settlement house in the nation. For 130 years, University Settlement has been an anchor in the low-income and immigrant communities where we work, offering pioneering programs in early childhood care and education, youth development, eviction prevention, literacy, theater and visual arts, senior services, and mental health. Each year, we engage over 40,000 New Yorkers through our network of 31 sites in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Our mission is to empower the individuals we serve through comprehensive, quality services that strengthen families and meet the current needs of the community.
University Settlement has been providing a variety of effective and strengths-based community based programs for children. The Settlement operates after-school and summer programs for children grades K-8th at sites in Brooklyn and Manhattan. The Group Leader will be responsible for ensuring the safety and engagement of children. The program will provide academic support; artistic, athletic, cultural, and athletic enrichment; therapeutic services; and opportunities for family involvement. The position requires a creative, energetic, team-building leader committed to providing the highest quality of programming for children and families.
- Ensure the safety and engagement of a group of twenty or more students through program activities, including snack, homework help and transition
- Ensure that assistance is provided during homework period
- Serve as a positive role model and uphold profession behavior at all times
- Plan and involve children in a range of multidisciplinary activities, design and implement thematic based lessons
- Work constructively with partner and other colleagues; communicate regularly with supervisory staff
- Communicate with parents and caregivers regarding progress and problem solving
- Maintain responsibility for designated program supplies and proper use of all facilities, including classrooms
- Complete all necessary documentation and administrative tasks
- Other duties as assigned by the Director
- High School Diploma or HSE preferred, current enrollment in college is a plus
- Experience working with middle school and grade school
- Ability to commit for the entire school year
Hours: up to 20 hours a week (after school hours)
Minimum Education Required