TITLE: Pantry Associate
DEPARTMENT: Community Kitchen
LOCATION: West Harlem Community Kitchen and Pantry
POSITION SUMMARY: Food Bank For New York City's Community Kitchen's Pantry Associate maintains and supervises the daily activities needed to ensure the successful daily operation of the client choice pantry. The Pantry Associate engages and assists shoppers in securing healthy, nutritious food items needed for their families. The Pantry Associate works to ensure that all pantry guests and volunteers in the pantry have an optimal experience.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills at all times while assisting with the daily operation of the client-choice pantry;
- Manage Client database management including verifying supporting documentation.
- Assist clients with registration, pantry IDs, online ordering and appointment selection
- Maintain a clean, safe, and orderly facility in compliance with food safety procedures;
- Comply with all sanitation, health, cleaning and housekeeping rules and regulations of Food Bank For New York City, local health department and other regulatory agencies
- Maintain clean work surfaces, equipment, work area, and appropriate disposal of rubbish;
- Track inventory movement daily to monitor trends and help prevent product loss;
- Maintain temperature logs and other records to meet reporting obligations or be in compliance with regulatory agencies;
- Assist Pantry clients in all aspects of customer shopping;
- Perform basic support duties such as unloading food deliveries, product storage using FIFO, date products, stock rotation, product distribution, and inventory;
- Orient volunteers regarding shopping procedures, and assign restocking shelves and repacking tasks;
- Oversee the volunteers and clients to ensure a positive shopping experience;
- Support Community Nutritionist to implement strategies to encourage pantry shoppers to choose healthy foods;
- Cross-train for other positions within the Community Kitchen;
- Perform other duties or special projects as directed.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND TRAINING QUALIFICATIONS:
- High School diploma or equivalent degree required;
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong customer service and organizational skills;
- Inventory experience and knowledge of health sanitation and safety procedures required;
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge of nutrition and/or community/public health
- Team player with good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to carry out tasks quickly, competently and within designated time frame in a fast-paced work environment;
- Capable of lifting to 30-50 lbs.