Vera is seeking the services of qualified freelance graphic designers to work on print and digital publications, including but not limited to reports, research and policy briefs, fact sheets, data visualizations, infographics, and photo and illustration research.
Anticipated Scope of Work
Services may include, but are not limited to:
- designing reports, fact sheets, and briefs according to a design template, Vera brand guidelines, and direction from creative lead;
- designing presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint and/or PDF format;
- designing data visualizations and infographics using Adobe Illustrator or Datawrapper;
- promptly implementing multiple rounds of line and design edits to all designed materials;
- delivering clean and error-free design files using Adobe Creative Suite, in accordance with Vera’s brand guidelines and direction from the creative lead;
- editorial photo and illustration research;
- meeting deadlines as specified by Vera;
- corresponding with Vera as needed to answer substantive and process questions; and
- attending meetings relating to projects, as requested.
These services may be provided on an as-needed basis to Vera by agreement described in specific task orders and based on the terms set forth in a master agreement with Vera. Please note that execution of a master agreement would not guarantee any minimum amount of work.
Interested and qualified Vendors that meet the following minimum qualifications are invited to submit a response to this RFQ:
- 3-5 years’ experience working on a range of complex publication design projects (experience in the nonprofit sector a plus);
- experience designing data visualizations and infographics using Adobe Illustrator and/or Datawrapper or similar software;
- experience implementing line and design edits quickly and accurately;
- experience doing research for editorial photography and illustration;
- experience working with printers and executing print-ready documents;
- experience executing clean InDesign files with carefully set up paragraph and character styles;
- excellent sense of layout with clear visual hierarchy;
- excellent typographic skills;
- experience designing for 504 accessibility compliance a plus;
- a portfolio of at least five examples of design projects with a mixture of print and digital publications;
- skill in project management;
- exceptional attention to detail and ability to implement precise design changes;
- excellent written and oral communication skills and experience collaborating with multiple stakeholders to accomplish project goals;
- speed and accuracy;
- deep commitment to racial equity—in a system built on racism and inequity, Vera works to ensure equity both in our workplace and in the world and aims to work with others who incorporate this value and share it with others;
- knowledge of and demonstrated commitment to working on design projects relevant to transforming the criminal legal and immigration systems and other social justice issues a plus.
During the review process, we will focus primarily on the following criteria to evaluate responses from Vendors that meet the Minimum Qualifications:
- vendor’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
- qualifications and experience, including successful completion of a design test;
- review of portfolio;
- familiarity with Vera's issues and initiatives;
- adequacy, clarity, and completeness of response;
- references; and
Vera compensates design consultants between USD $50-$70/hour, depending on experience, for all design services. These rates are non-negotiable.
Submission Process and Timeline
To apply, please fill out this application link: https://vera.submit.com/show/117
and provide the following materials:
- resume or CV with contact information to at least three references;
- link to an online portfolio or PDF portfolio of relevant design projects with a focus on publication design projects.
Applicants will be notified on a rolling basis.