4245 Fairfax Drive
The Student Conservation Association (SCA), a national force of youth conservation volunteers, has an exciting opportunity in our Advancement Department. America’s #1 youth conservation service organization seeks a Webmaster/Website Developer in our Arlington, VA office.
The Student Conservation Association provides an array of youth and young adult programs across the country. Web and mobile communications are the source of most program participant, donor and partner information sharing, collection and interaction. SCA’s Website developer/Webmaster is responsible for all aspects of SCA’s internal and external websites, from design and development to implementation, management and maintenance. The Webmaster leads organization-wide efforts to advance SCA’s websites as vital, functional, effective and engaging tools for all users, both internal and external. The person in this position must be creative in how SCA uses its web presence to help the organization attract donors, partners, alumni, and members, while engaging constituents and bringing the national youth conservation movement/brand to life. Along with strong technical skills, front-end web developers must have strong written and oral communication skills, a solid grasp of graphic design, and exceptional time management capabilities. The person in this position understands and incorporates institutional priorities into its work and is expected to use innovation engineering principles to guide its work, as well as abide by SCA’s Core and Leadership Values.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain daily oversight of SCA’s websites, respond to outages, requests for corrections, updates and fixes, and oversee timely security and enhancement updates.
- Build SCA’s current sites, including contests, blogs and campaigns, to meet the organization’s needs as they pertain to donor engagement, corporate relations, online giving, recruitment, partner relations, marketing and program objectives.
- Create, maintain and manage SCA’s CMS platform, currently in Drupal (possibly moving to WordPress) and provide necessary training to support internal users for their content updates.
- Manage the implementation, from strategy to design to execution, of website projects including redesign.
- Develop, maintain and provide support for the Intranet site.
- Monitor software licenses to ensure compliance.
- Ensure that all Internet standards are met and that SCA does not intentionally violate any standards that would place our domain in jeopardy.
- Maintain and administer all legal Internet domains owned by the organization.
- Develop, maintain and monitor webservers broadcasting an Internet domain.
- Look for new ways to serve our Intranet constituents and use the Intranet more effectively in order to increase our internal efficiency while servicing the staff.
- Collaborate with all departments (as well as outside consultants) regarding the integration of web and database functionality.
- Manage the integration of the current website or other web platforms into the SCA public site, both technically and strategically.
- Provide training on a regular and as-needed basis for use of a variety of website technologies.
- Engage in ongoing usability testing.
- Manage external relationships with web vendors and online specialists; reduce dependence on outside web developers.
- Ensure proper error handling and downtime protocols are in place for site traffic spikes and database connectivity issues. Requires 24-hour on-call response as needed.
- Identify quality outside web resources/consultants and manage those relationships.
- Collaborate on special initiatives and other web related projects as needed.
- Be up to date on emerging standards for website accessibility, especially new federal regulations, as well as mobile technologies and responsive design.
- Consult with key stakeholders to ensure the best use of website resources to meet SCA objectives.
- Troubleshoot issues quickly and to stay up-to-date on current and emerging technologies, standards, and trends.
- Document all project builds and their maintenance.
- Update current websites to meet modern web standards.
Qualifications Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science from an accredited college or university; or equivalent education/experience in the computer science field.
- Internet/Intranet certification or three years of web server management/development experience.
- Extensive experience in Wide Area Networking and Internet Infrastructure.
- Relevant software certifications: Drupal, WordPress, PHP/MySQL experience.
- Standards compliant XHTML/CSS mastery.
- Knowledge of interbrowser/cross-platform compatibility.
- Excellent understanding and ability to implement web usability best practices.
- Strong competence and experience with adobe Photoshop and web graphics.
- Excellent web writing skills.
- Dependability, flexibility, creativity and a sense of humor are a must.
- Ability to work well in a team environment, collaborate with others, and provide leadership.
- Ability to sustain and complete a complex project with minimal supervision.
- Ability and desire to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must be familiar with development and debugging tools for cross-browser issues.
- Must be familiar with Social Media and Third-Party APIs.
- Must be a strong problem solver.
- Must be able to troubleshoot and communicate effectively.
- Must be a self-starter.
- Must be open to frequent feedback.
This position may manage employees from time to time, and as such is responsible for the performance management and adequate hiring of the employees in adherence with SCA policies and procedures.
SCA strives to cultivate a work environment that encourages fairness, teamwork, and respect among all staff members. It is firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds and lifestyles may grow personally and professionally.
For more information about SCA and to reply, visit us at https://www.thesca.org/about/current-openings
SCA is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity.
Student Conservation Association is a proud partner with AmeriCorps and encourages AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alumni to apply for job opportunities with SCA.
Health and Dental * Basic Life Insurance * Short Term Disability * Long Term Disability * Flexible Spending Account * 403(b) Savings Plan * Generous Paid Time Off * Community Service Leave * Casual Dress
Minimum Education Required