Full Time Contract
Details: Salary: Commensurate with experience
487 South Broadway
My Sisters’ Place
Job Title: Associate Counsel, Family Law Practice, Yonkers Office
Job Classification: Full Time Exempt
Position Reports To: Managing Attorney, Family Law Practice and Managing Director, Center for Legal Services
My Sisters’ Place (MSP) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization that has been providing support to victims of domestic violence and human trafficking throughout Westchester County, NY since 1978. MSP has evolved from a small, grassroots organization into a holistic agency touching the lives of more than 10,000 individuals each year. We provide a continuum of free services including: a 24-hour hotline, emergency residential shelter, adult counseling, legal services, children’s services, and an extensive community education and training outreach program. MSP’s Center for Legal Services directly represents survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking in family law and immigration matters. We increase our capacity to serve survivors by supervising pro bono attorneys from area law firms and corporations.
My Sisters’ Place seeks an Associate Counsel who will provide legal advocacy and representation to victims of domestic violence in Westchester Family courts (mostly Yonkers Family Court, as well as New Rochelle, and White Plains) and Integrated Domestic Violence Courts (Yonkers and White Plains), conduct emergency and non-emergency legal consultations, and assist with outreach and education programs.
Job Description: Position responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Provide holistic legal representation and advocacy to survivors of domestic violence and human trafficking in family law matters, including: orders of protection, child support, paternity, custody and visitation.
• Conduct all aspects of a civil practice, including discovery, motion practice, negotiations, trial preparation and trials.
• Conduct regular intake and assessment of potential clients, on matters including matrimonial, housing, benefits, family law, and criminal
• Track and collect statistical information for grant reports and compile and draft grant reports for funder(s)
• Participate in committees and working groups addressing the rights of survivors
• Advocate for legislative and government agency policy changes to assist domestic violence survivors
• Collaborate with all other staff members including, but not limited to shelter staff, counseling staff and development staff.
• Maintain comprehensive and precise client files
• Attend trainings, webinars and conferences to keep abreast of current issues
• Represent MSP at various coalitions, councils, events and task forces
• Participate in agency activities such as trainings, conferences and fundraisers
• Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Minimum of 0-5 years of experience practicing in family court
• J.D. Law Degree with admission to the NYS Bar
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and database programs
• Ability to work independently, assess priorities, take initiative, handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively and to interact with clients, management and program staff
• Non-profit domestic violence work experience important but not mandatory
MSP general requirements:
• Support our philosophy and guiding principles
• Participate in agency-wide and community events, initiatives and committees to help strengthen our organizational goals
• Work collaboratively across departments
• Participate in on-going education and training opportunities
• Ability to collaborate with people and synthesize diverse sets of institutional perspectives
• Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in all situations and be able to withhold confidential information
• Job may require lifting typical office materials from time to time and may include accepting and transporting in-kind donations
• If using personal vehicle, must have valid driver’s license and appropriate vehicle insurance
Salary: Commensurate with experience
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. To apply please email resumes, cover letter and salary requirements to: Pamela Howard at email@example.com
MSP values you, your growth and your contributions. MSP believes that an effective, broad-based movement for social transformation must be rooted in anti-racist principles as we work towards a more just and equitable society.
My Sisters’ Place policy prohibits discrimination due to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and national origin in employment and delivery of services.
Our agency provides medical, dental, and vision benefit packages.
Level of Language Proficiency
Basic Spanish is a plus.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
To apply please email resumes, cover letter and salary requirements to: Pamela Howard at firstname.lastname@example.org