Founded in 1979, StARS is a refugee service provider in central Cairo that works to enhance the quality of life for refugees and vulnerable migrants through five broad program areas: education, psychosocial, legal, community outreach and unaccompanied youth and children support services. We provide high-quality services meeting the unaddressed needs of refugees, and we provide a safe and inclusive space for displaced people to come together as a community. We work for refugees, with refugees, to make rights recognition a reality.
StARS’ Mission: Driven by a commitment to justice and fairness, StARS works as displaced people and for displaced people to respect human dignity and enhance quality of life.
StARS’ Vision: Displaced people lead in the creation and implementation of responses to different forms of migration to establish safe, just, welcoming, and inclusive communities globally.
We serve people from many places, including Eritrea, Ethiopia, Iraq, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
To learn more please visit our website: www.stars-egypt.org or our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/standrewsrefugeeservices?fref=ts
Project Description: Refugee Legal Aid Program
The Refugee Legal Aid Program provides advice and representation to refugees seeking recognition by UNHCR through refugee status determination procedures in Egypt, assists refugees in accessing resettlement to safe third countries, and advises refugees on protection matters. Refugee Legal Aid Program is seeking a Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer to assist and advise refugees in Refugee Status Determination and registration procedures.
Under the supervision of the Refugee Status Determination Coordinator the Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer is responsible for the provision of legal advice and representation to refugees undergoing registration and Refugee Status Determination processing. In consultation with the Refugee Status Determination Coordinator the Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer shall be responsible for providing technical and administrative support to implement activities supporting the strategic goals of the Refugee Status Determination Program. The Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer will be part of a group of six Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officers managing the day to day activities of Refugee Status Determination services provided to clients.
All duties are carried out under the supervision of the Refugee Legal Aid Program Director and the Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer is responsible for the provision of legal advice and representation adult urban refugees in the areas of registration, and Refugee Status Determination. This includes but is not limited to: conducting and reviewing intake interviews to assess refugee claims of clients, drafting and reviewing legal submissions made on behalf of clients in the Refugee Status Determination process, and providing administrative support to manage an area of service provided by the Refugee Status Determination Program. The Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer is also expected to contribute to advocacy efforts regarding the urban refugee population and to supervise and train volunteer staff. The Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer is a member of a team of approximately 15 legal staff and reports to the Refugee Status Determination Coordinator.
Legal and Technical
· To undergo probation and regular performance appraisals.
· Refugee Legal Aid Program To become familiar with Refugee Legal Aid Program’s database program and accurately record and follow up on all relevant case management.
· To provide case reporting data to the Refugee Legal Aid Program Director as requested in order to accurately report work to senior management, funders, and others.
· To submit activity reports as requested.
· To promote information-sharing within Refugee Legal Aid Program and StARS on all issues affecting the populations we serve.
Founded in 1979, StARS is a refugee service provider in central Cairo that works to enhance the quality of life for refugees and vulnerable migrants through five broad program areas: education, psychosocial, legal, community outreach and…
Salary: 7,850 EGP/month, rising to 8,350 EGP/month following successful completion three-month probationary period. Plus 4,020 EGP/year Health Coverage and 100 EGP/month Saving Scheme Contribution upon completion of probationary period.
Additional official benefits as stipulated in StARS Staff Handbook Guidelines.
This position is subject to a three-month probationary period, at which time the employee’s performance will be reviewed and probation may be extended.
Closing date for applications: 6 May 2021
Anticipated Starting date: 30 May 2021
Initial contract term: 12-months, renewable by agreement of both parties.
Salary: 7,850 EGP/month, rising to 8,350 EGP/month following successful completion three-month probationary period. Plus 4,020 EGP/year Health Coverage and 100 EGP/month Saving…
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate will be energetic, articulate, and comfortable interacting with diverse segments of society. She or he will have demonstrated a firm commitment to human rights and refugee issues with particular emphasis on vulnerable populations.
· English being the official language of UNHCR Cairo and StARS, the Refugee Legal Aid Program Refugee Status Determination Legal Officer must be fluent in oral and written English.
· Master’s degree in a related field (international development, international law, development studies, Middle East Studies) OR a qualified lawyer in any jurisdiction (J.D., LLB or equivalent) OR a minimum of one year of experience in representing refugees in the resettlement or Refugee Status Determination processes OR two years of experience providing direct representation to indigent people in any setting.
· Excellent legal research and drafting skills.
· Knowledge of UNHCR registration and Refugee Status Determination guidelines and procedures.
· Knowledge of the general protection situation and vulnerabilities of refugees in Egypt.
· A demonstrated commitment to and sensitivity toward vulnerable or displaced people.
· Ability to live and work in a fluid security environment.
· Proven experience drafting client affidavits and legal arguments.
· Ability to exercise sound legal judgment, well organized, self-motivated, and reliable.
· Demonstrated compassion for refugees and displaced people.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Demonstrated ability to work in a team as well as individually.
· A positive attitude and sensitive manner when dealing with clients including a range of interviewing skills for dealing with challenging scenarios, particularly in advocating for survivors of violence, trafficking, torture, and SGBV.
· Fluency in Arabic or a refugee language is an advantage but not a requirement.
· Experience designing and conducting trainings for non-technical audiences.
· Managerial experience or familiarity with volunteer oversight.
· Life and work experience in the Middle East or Egypt or with an urban refugee population.
· Fluency in Arabic or a refugee language is an advantage.
Working Hours: The Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer is expected to be at work for 40 hours per week, between the hours of 9am and 5pm, from Sunday to Thursday. Longer hours, evening and weekend work are sometimes necessary. Work will be conducted both in StARS premises and also in refugee communities and centers.
Supervised by: Refugee Status Determination Coordinator
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate will be energetic, articulate, and comfortable interacting with diverse segments of society. She or he will have…
To apply: Please send a cover letter, your CV, and brief legal writing sample to email@example.com using the subject line “Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal Officer”.
All applications should provide contact information of two professional/academic references (referees will only be contacted after an interview)
Note: Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for an interview.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, your CV, and brief legal writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Refugee Status Determination Senior Legal…