The Trustees is seeking a Public Relations Director who can drive strategic press and influencer strategies designed to increase organizational visibility, protect and enhance reputation, and inspire audience engagement.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Marketing & Communications, the Public Relations Director will manage a team of PR and Communications Managers and work closely with Marketing & Communications staff to integrate public relations with broader communications strategies and campaigns. This is a full-time, exempt position located at 200 High Street, Boston, MA, with periodic travel to sites within Massachusetts.
In This Role You Will:
Lead, oversee, and implement strategic public relations campaigns and media outreach efforts to support high profile organizational initiatives including: The Trustees’ Boston Waterfront and Coastal Initiatives; executive and organizational news, and announcements; statewide property engagement programs at outdoor natural, ecological, recreational, historic, cultural/museum, horticultural and agricultural destinations throughout Massachusetts; and crisis/incident communications.
- Oversee strategic public relations campaigns and efforts designed to elevate The Trustees’ brand and leadership as the nation’s oldest and Massachusetts’ largest conservation and preservation nonprofit which is working to innovate, lead, and engage current and future generations in our mission and work
- Design outreach and communications initiatives that aim to increase overall organizational visibility and audience engagement around The Trustees’ high profile One Waterfront and Coastal initiatives
- Create and oversee the implementation of an annual public relations outreach strategy and calendar to inspire and drive statewide property visitation, engagement program participation, membership acquisition and enterprise growth
- Craft and lead press campaigns and communications strategies around newsworthy ecological/environmental stewardship programs and milestones, cultural and horticultural restorations, conservation and property news and acquisitions, high level organizational news and personnel announcements, and corporate/strategic partnerships
- Direct and manage communications around crises and sensitive issues to provide proactive and professional messaging to internal and external stakeholders and protect and enhance organizational reputation. Guide and teach executive and senior level staff in protocols and procedures through workshops and training sessions, craft messaging and talking points, and oversee all press and written media communications in partnership with incident management and Marketing & Communications teams
- Drive and manage proactive press and influencer campaigns, communications, and relationship management and development across a broad spectrum of owned and earned media channels including print, online and broadcast outlets, blogs, podcasts, and social media, serving as initial point of contact for all high-level media inquiries and outreach
- Provide media spokesperson trainings, briefings, and messaging development for executives and senior level staff, creating and identifying interview opportunities to position them as thought leaders and subject matter experts
- Initiate and oversee staff in managing and implementing strategic press and influencer events, property tours, and travel and tourism partner and association FAMS
- Guide and contribute strategic ideas and content to Social Media and Digital Content team to amplify press campaigns and placements and support social media influencer and Trustees ambassador outreach programs
- Proactively pursue and place general interest and society press for high-profile Trustees development events and philanthropic initiatives
- Oversee team in foundational press functions including creating and managing a pipeline of press opportunities through annual media/editorial calendars, proactive press outreach, press and influencer list development, press database management, and monthly and quarterly progress and press coverage report
The ideal candidate will be a driven leader, expert communicator and facilitator, and seasoned media relations strategist with excellent writing and presentation skills and an insatiable thirst for news, innovation, and knowledge. Position requires flexibility, collaboration, and the ability to multitask and shift gears with ease and grace while working in a complex, fast-moving, and dynamic organization.
Additional qualifications include
- Bachelor’s degree required, plus 10+ years of progressively responsible experience in public relations and marketing communications with another similar nonprofit or lifestyle/consumer brand
- Demonstrated success in creating and driving high impact press and influencer campaigns and strategies across multiple niche areas and platforms such as business, consumer/lifestyle, travel, gardening, shelter, design, and general interest. Established press and influencer relationships throughout New England and on a national scale a must
- Seasoned crisis and incident communications and media relations professional with executive level leadership training experience
- Creative thinker and storyteller with experience in leveraging multimedia digital communications such as videos, blogs, and podcasts
- Excellent public relations and communications writing and editing skills including executive level press briefings and talking points, messaging and positioning documents, communications plans, op-eds, letters to the editor, blogs, press releases and positioning documents, etc.
- Proven track record of building audience and constituency, including experience initiating and running press worthy surveys/studies and growing KPIs through targeted campaigns and outreach strategies.
- Avid love of news and the pursuit of new press and influencer relationships
- Strong sense of urgency and drive to proactively respond to news opportunities and trends
- Excellent analytic, organizational, and communications skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, relationships, and workflow within deadlines across geographic distances and through a matrixed management structure
- Deep knowledge of foundational press software tools, including KPI data analytics, Cision press database management, and Burrelles press clip tracking software or other comparable platforms
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software applications
- Confident, can-do, and flexible attitude with a strong sense of humor
In addition to competitive pay, The Trustees offers the opportunity to be part of a dedicated team across New England who believe in celebrating and protecting our special places, for everyone, forever.
About The Trustees
The Trustees is one of Massachusetts’ largest non-profits and the nation’s first conservation and preservation organization. Today, the places we care about are going fast, and the forces undermining them, including climate change, are moving faster. Our passion is to protect and share with everyone the irreplaceable natural and cultural treasures under our care. We are funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 60,000 member households.
The Trustees has been featured in the Top 100 Women-Led Organizations in Massachusetts for six consecutive years.
In addition to being an Equal Opportunity Employer, The Trustees aims to create a thriving, inclusive workplace that values each member of its team. We aspire to reflect and effectively serve the residents and communities of Massachusetts who are at the core of our mission.
The Trustees is a signer of the Boston Women’s Workforce Council and a Member of the Boston College Center for Work and Family.
We kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.