3540 La Honda Road
Vida Verde Facilities (& Farm) Manager
Vida Verde has a long history of achieving remarkable results through its mission-driven organization and high-quality programs delivered free of charge for 4th-6th grade youth from underserved communities. We are a small, tightly-knit, excited non-profit. Our jobs are the BEST, and so are the people who work here!
Position Overview: This is a 40-hour/week, full-time, non-exempt management position, reporting to the Executive Director. The Facilities and Farm Manager is responsible for maintaining and improving our three local sites, including the structures/homes, landscaping, animals, education garden, infrastructure, and vehicles for safety, function & appearance. This position will plan in collaboration with the Executive Director, do direct maintenance work, and provide direction to part-time staff, volunteers and contractors in order to create a functional and efficient facility and farm.
Work Environment: Vida Verde is a highly professional and dynamic nonprofit organization. The central site is our educational farm & office in rural San Gregorio California, and is often abuzz with activity of instructors, students, office staff, caretakers, volunteers and many other from our community working in support of our mission.
• Keep structures (houses, outbuildings) maintained, repaired and improved
o Ensure that roofs are watertight, paint/sealant current, smoke/carbon monoxide detectors/extinguishers working/charged, rodents/fleas/bats at bay, faucets leak-free.
o Check residents in and out of housing using Google drive system docs, documenting w photos.
• Maintain and repair site infrastructure:Ensure water delivery and purification, maintain pumps, electrical, heat, road, phone, & internet (hire & manage contractors as needed).
• Keep landscaping and site aesthetics up to a high standard and continually improved, for constant visitors (kids and donors, etc.).
o Mow, weed eat, sweep, clean barn for visits.
o Upgrade plantings annually, keep fences and gates in good repair.
o Reorganize and clean storage areas.
• Remove debris, organize parking areas, maintain signage.
• Farm and Garden: Maintain a full, functioning, ¼ acre beautiful garden for kids and donors alike year-round, according to the org’s garden plan.
o Ensure that fruit trees are pruned annually.
o See that ripe food is sent home with students on a weekly basis when available.
o Prep weekly projects for student groups to complete .
• Keep vehicles and machines maintained and repaired for safety, reliability, and marketing. Keep organized vehicle records.
• Keep animals healthy and in a good pasture, producing milk and eggs for the program.
o Recruit, train and manage weekly, volunteer goat milkers. Includes communication.
o Annual testing for diseases/culling. Preventative health measures that keep youth program prioritized.
• Weekend duties: During the school year, cover 1 out of 6 weekend duties on the farm (1-2 hours per weekend). Manage summer weekend caretaker duties and cover up to 1 out of every 3 weekends. Manage extra staff duties that are needed on weekends during goat kidding season.
• Finances: Work within budget guidelines, keep financial records, pay contract staff, and create project budgets.
• Do consistent work to systematize the facilities tasks, keep careful records, reflect & work continually towards improvement.
• Work as a team member with Vida Verde staff.
o Collaborate with the Events Mgr, Events Coordinator, Head of Program, Instructors. Development Director, Office Manager and others for successful events, programs, and other team efforts.
o Attend monthly all-staff meetings, and 1 on 1 meetings with your supervisor.
o As invited, participate in annual goals meetings.
• Hiring & Management of caretakers and contractors
o As Summer caretakers are needed and housing is available, hire summer site staff & manage in accordance with the Vida Verde staff management plan. Includes editing, posting job, interviewing, gaining E.D. approval for job offers, onboarding, etc.
o Support Head of Program in oversight of school year instructor-caretaker responsibilities by providing training (verbal and systematized) and feedback. (And, in the future, potentially manage a team of school-year instructor caretakers. Not as of 2016-19 school years).
o Collect bids, hire & manage contractors as needed/for larger projects, including landscaping workers 3-4 days/month.
o Potentially hire and manage a part-time Facilities and Farm Assistant.
• Provide Capital Project Support: Support the Capital Project Manager and the E.D. as they work through the entitlements process with the county regulatory agencies, and following that the permitting process, and the construction phase of the project.
• Track & balance multiple priorities on weekly basis, and work with supervisor to set semi-annual goals.
• Work with the community, volunteers, and donors toward our mission.
• Prep, help plan, execute, & wrap up community volunteer days.
*There is potential for the Facilities and Farm Manager to hire a part-time assistant if needed
• Strong work ethic
• Positive attitude
• Willingness to collaborate and learn
• Alignment with the Vida Verde Mission and Values (see below)
● Farm and garden management experience
● Proven facilities maintenance skills
● Ability to give and receive spoken and written directions in English
● Physical abilities to navigate rugged terrain during a variety of weather conditions, and to operate manual tools and machines associated with farm and maintenance work; ability to lift and carry heavy and bulky loads of up to 50 pounds.
● Knowledge and use of safe practices around land, equipment, children, and animals
● Prioritization, organization, routines, self-direction.
● Willingness to live and work on site 5 days per week in rural San Gregorio
● Available to work mainly during regular business hours, Monday through Friday; must also be open to having a flexible schedule to work occasional evenings or weekend days for special events, team meetings or ad-hoc projects.
● Experience managing contractors (plumbing/electrical/carpentry, etc)
• Building experience
• Personnel Management experience, and willingness to follow internal guidelines and practices
• Experience hiring contractors/specialists
• Budgeting experience
Housing at Hidden Creek site: large private yurt bedroom with shared living room, barn kitchen, outdoor shower, and laundry.
Health and Vision Insurance valued @ $200 per month
Retirement plan with monthly Employer contributions valued @ $100/month
3 weeks paid vacation
Pro deals (Patagonia, Outdoor Prolink Vendors, Smartwool, etc.)
Professional Development Opportunities (conferences and workshops)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Application Procedure & Timeline:
Send letter of interest, resume, and 3 professional references by EMAIL ONLY to:
Shawn Sears and Paula Alves
Email: Shawn@Vveducation.org and paula@Vveducation.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; those whose materials indicate a potential match will be contacted directly. Priority deadline Sept 9, 2018.