2830 S. Central Ave.
A Place Called Home is seeking a mission focused Civics and Community Engagement Coordinator to help empower our youth and parents in the South Central community.
Job Title: Civics and Community Engagement Coordinator
Reports to: Program Director – Teens & Young Adult Services
FLSA Status: 40 Hours, Non-exempt
Rate: 16.00-19.00 DOE
Under the direction of the Program Director, the Civics and Community Engagement Coordinator (CCEC) implements programs and agency goals, REACH objectives, agency best practices and program efficiencies. The CCEC is responsible for co-visioning and implementing a program to expose, educate, and empower APCH teen and parent members in civic, social and economic issues, dynamics and opportunities in the community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work under the Program Director –Teens and Young Adult Services to successfully implement the goals as outlined in the organization’s Strategic Plan
- Assist in developing/planning program that includes participation, advocacy and citizenship/stakeholder responsibilities in communities, county, state and federal government
- Monitor and report on program progress, and create regular updates on program activities
- Research and develop field trips and learning plans that include historical perspectives, community service projects, trips to seats of government, etc.; develop relevant collateral materials and secure related guest speakers
- Facilitate and lead periodic classes and town hall meetings for members on campus
- Facilitate and lead regular evening and weekend meetings with members’ parents
- Explore current community issues to educate and empower capacity building for members and families
- Develop relationships, access and internship opportunities with community leaders and public servants/elected officials
- Assist members in developing understanding and values/intentions regarding civic life in the community
- Compile archival information regarding community issues and the program members’ civic activity in the community; build a compact Community Resource library at APCH
- Develop and foster relationships with external organizations and community partners in order to expand available resources and opportunities for members to engage with community issues and needs
- Prepare, lead and host community gatherings to explore and educate regarding important matters, issues, elections, etc. affecting the community
- Lead Voter Education and Voter Registration initiatives at APCH for members, families and the community
- Involve members in maintaining APCH as a Polling Place for all elections
- Plan and facilitate annual Stakeholders Circle meeting to engage APCH constituency in dialog regarding APCH and the community
- Facilitate classes/meetings and actions for Teen Leadership group
- Facilitate meetings/communications and structure for Parent Partners/Leadership Circle
- Overlap with and inform other APCH program departments as appropriate
- Attend all required program meetings (Department, Check-in with Supervisor, etc.) and attend public events related to community issues
- Prepare and submit all paperwork in a timely manner (Monthly reports, assessments, research, etc.)
- Bachelor of Arts
- 2 years’ experience working with teen and adult population in instructional, community organizing, and/or project-based environments
- Familiarity with community organizing and outreach
- Familiarity with civics; specifically structures of local governments
- Demonstrates cultural-competence
- Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred
Must work well with diverse populations of employees and clients
Must be available to work weekends and/or evening hours
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401K, generous time off, plus more!
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Qualified candidates, please email resume, cover letter to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include all documents as one pdf file and use “Civics Coordinator” in the subject line.
(E-mail submissions only/No phone inquiries)
Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined requirements of the position.
Please let us know if you are an APCH Alumnus!
Background screening required/Relevant skills assessment required during screening