Family Promise, the national leader in addressing family homelessness, is seeking candidates for a Director of Volunteer Engagement to support our network of 200+ Affiliates that rely on 200,000 volunteers to assist more than 100,000 people annually. This position offers a significant opportunity to make a positive impact on our aspiration to change the future for one million children by 2030. We are looking for an enthusiastic and experienced, non-profit professional to engage with and understand the needs of our Affiliate leaders, volunteer coordinators, volunteers and corporate partners in order to expand the number of volunteer opportunities and ensure all volunteers are properly trained.
This position reports to the COO and works closely with the Affiliate Services team, the CIO and CEO to provide vision for Family Promise volunteer engagement. As a member of the National staff, the Director of Volunteer Engagement is a liaison among volunteers, Affiliates, corporate partners and the national office. The Director of Volunteer Engagement leads, establishes and supervises all protocols and activities related to volunteer training/development, engagement, recognition, retention, outreach, administration, communication, and continuing education. Must be able to write and communicate well, should enjoy presenting to small and large groups both in-person and virtually, must enjoy working independently and still being part of a small, but high-performing team.
- Conduct research to understand the future of volunteerism and use that knowledge to create a road-map for the future of volunteers at Family Promise
- Establish and monitor best practices
- Create volunteer recognition and stewardship activities that support Affiliates’ efforts to provide a mutually satisfying volunteer experience and ensure retention of volunteers
- Design and implement volunteer training curriculum
- Establish, maintain and monitor the volunteer communications such as e-newsletters, social media groups, and website content
- Assist Affiliate staff in the management, supervision and stewardship of volunteers and volunteer coordinators
- Establish a cohort of volunteer managers on staff at Affiliates to gain feedback from the field and to disseminate best practices and new national initiatives
- Develop and lead programs for volunteer training that align with specific approaches (such as trauma informed care), specific types of volunteers (such as college students), and specific programs (such as workforce development)
- Responsible for corporate volunteer recruitment and engagement
- Engage university students to develop the next generation of volunteers
- Develop technology tools for use by Affiliates and volunteers
- Collaborate with other team members - both internal and external - on identifying, planning, and managing key deliverables, activities, budgets and deadlines
- Passion for Family Promise's mission - to help families experiencing homelessness and low-income families achieve sustainable independence through a community-based response
- Experience with volunteer engagement and management; an understanding of how volunteers are motivated, what they value, and how they can have impact
- Excellent project management skills and experience with a strong outcomes orientation
- Proficiency with technology and comprehension of the potential for technology to expedite processes
- Experience with engaging diverse groups, including colleges, corporations, civic groups, faith communities, etc.
- Familiarity with budget management and project funding
- Ability to identify strategies for volunteer orientation and retention
- Proficiency in creating training documentation
- Experience hosting live trainings and/or webinars
- Ability to be a team player and interface with all levels of staff and volunteers. Must develop, maintain, and utilize relationships
- Professional, conscientious, friendly, and enthusiastic
- Ability to effectively multi-task, to establish priorities, to work and make judgments independently, and take initiative
- Ability for presentation delivery, conveying ideas, and instructing effectively
- Proficiency with Office 365 applications
- Bachelor's Degree or higher
ABOUT FAMILY PROMISE
Family Promise is the national leader addressing Family Homelessness, comprising more than 200+ Affiliates in 43 states and engaging 200,000 volunteers nationwide. Since our inception in 1988, we have served more than 1 million people— over 126,000 family members annually. Our holistic, community-based response delivers a comprehensive set of solutions through prevention, shelter, and stabilization services. In 2019, Family Promise was awarded Charity Navigator’s coveted 4-star rating for its seventh consecutive year, a top distinction from America’s largest independent charity evaluator. Only 6% of charities achieve this honor.
Family Promise’s Core Values reflect the guiding principles that our team practices in their daily service to the families in need:
- Hospitality – Family Promise is more than shelter—we are hospitality in action. Our 200,000 volunteers nationwide are companions to families, sharing meals, community connections, and compassion so families can focus on achieving their goals.
- Empathy – Family Promise provides highly individualized, person-centered, trauma-informed care. Empathy is at the center of all we do, and we take the time to understand all perspectives. This ensures we deliver excellent service to our guests and maintain a productive and enjoyable work environment.
- Community – Family Promise builds bridges among neighbors, bringing together existing resources to fulfill our mission. The relationships between family members, volunteers, and staff are transformative and power a national movement of communities committed to solving the crisis of family homelessness.
- Dynamism – Family Promise is a dynamic organization, taking a holistic approach to ending family homelessness. Our services, advocacy, and leadership are nimble and future-focused, providing customized and evolving solutions.
- Innovation – Family Promise is innovative and entrepreneurial. Our 200+ Affiliates create original programs in response to local needs. These grassroots initiatives are replicated in communities of all shapes and sizes across the country.
- Empowerment – Family Promise empowers all stakeholders – family members, volunteers, donors, community members, businesses, and government officials – to effect change in their communities so families can achieve economic stability and children can access a brighter future.