1319 F Street Northwest
District of Columbia
About First Book: First Book (https://firstbook.org) believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 175 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators serving kids in need. Today First Book reaches 375,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week. In addition to our work in the United States, First Book also distributed books to children in more than 30 countries last year.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has also been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics. Finally, Charity Navigator recently awarded First Book its highest rating, including a perfect score for Accountability & Transparency.
About the position: The Accounting Coordinator is an essential part of the First Book team, providing critical support for the Accounting department while constantly interacting with others regarding First Book’s receivables and payables. This position will closely monitor all First Book’s online sales as well as disbursement to vendors. The position demands the highest attention to detail, analytical and creative thinking, basic understanding of accounting principles, good understanding of Excel, and excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Sorting and processing order payments via check, credit card, or other electronic means.
· Monitor Marketplace customer account details for non-payment, delayed payments, and other irregularities
· Research and resolve payment discrepancies
· Track and mark orders that have been paid in the inventory management system
· Request and issue check and credit card refunds
· Release paid orders through our e-commerce platform
- Communicate with customers via mail, phone, and email in an effort to collect and settle outstanding accounts
· Track any payment or order issues so they can be addressed or forwarded to the appropriate department for resolution
· Assist by entering payables/invoices in the accounting system
· Assist with improving payables process by monitoring and flagging bills due for payment
· Assist in the preparation of annual audit
· Other tasks as assigned to support to the Accounting Department
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree and at least one year of work experience required
- Excellent organizational skills
- Working knowledge of proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
All full-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage
- Vacation leave
- Sick leave
- Eleven Annual Holidays
- 401 K and employer matching pension contribution
- Transportation benefits
Minimum Education Required