1061 Market St, Mezzanine
Position Title: Program Associate
Position Type: Part Time
Location: San Francisco, CA
SMART (Schools, Mentoring and Resource Team, Inc.) provides low-income students access to an exceptional education and the skills needed to thrive in college and in life. SMART’s vision is to end the cycle of poverty in San Francisco by providing students and families financial, academic, and social emotional support, as well as college preparation and career exploration. Our organization provides a unique eight-year continuum of support that starts in 4th grade and goes all the way to college, including school support, after school enrichment, summer programming, and college preparation. Since launching our high school program in 2011, 100% of SMART Scholars have graduated high school and matriculated to college. While only 21% of low-income students who enter college will graduate within six years, SMART Scholars are currently persisting at a rate of more than 80%. Learn more at www.thesmartprogram.org.
The Program Associate will support SMART’s middle and high school after school programming in addition to helping develop and implement key annual projects that are critical to achieving strategic objectives. The Program Associate facilitates activities with students and also provides logistical support to lead staff to ensure a positive environment and effective program delivery for Scholars. The ideal candidate is a passionate self-starter who loves to collaborate, demonstrates a true “can-do” attitude, and thrives in a fast-paced environment.
This is a part time position for the 2018-19 school year (September through May). The Program Associate will work Monday through Thursday, 3:00-7:00pm.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Support staff in creating a positive college going culture that values academic and socioemotional skill building.
- Facilitate workshops and manage a classroom of 15-20 students, including preparation of classroom materials and resources.
- Support lead staff in opening and closing After School Program activities.
- Assist in managing academic coaches and other volunteers in the After School Program space.
- Support activities of the SMART Student Advisory Board.
- Assist with managing After School Program space, including organizing workshop and other program materials, tracking inventory, preparing snacks and managing kitchen space.
- Support lead staff with supervising student drop off and pick up.
- Support the After School Program with data entry as needed.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Experience and Competencies:
- Must be currently in college or a college graduate.
- Strong passion for issues of educational equity for students from underserved communities.
- Understanding of the challenges faced by minority populations and underrepresented communities. Experience working or volunteering directly with underrepresented communities is strongly desired.
- Some work or volunteer experience with youth preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to take initiative, and capacity to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Detail-oriented, with strong organizational skills.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply:
- Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume to Laura Medina, Director of Student Success at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please write your name and the title for this position (“Your Name – Program Associate”) in the subject line of your email.
- Due to the volume of applications we receive, please no phone calls.
Deadline to Apply: Friday, August 24, 2018.
SMART is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applicants from all racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds, national origins, sexual orientations, and genders.