Details: Commensurate with experience
500 19th Street NE
About Monument Academy
Working with the most at-risk adolescents and established on an innovative model integrating excellent academics with evidence-based, trauma-informed practices, Monument Academy is a weekday boarding school that opened in the 2015-2016 school year with a 5th grade class of 40 students and will have 160 students when we reach full enrollment through 8th grade in 2018/19. The school is currently authorized to expand to 8th grade and maintains the goal of growing through high school so that students will graduate from Monument Academy.
The mission of Monument Academy is to provide students, particularly those who have had or might have contact with the foster care system, with the requisite academic, social, emotional, and life skills to be successful in college, career, and community, and to create an outstanding school that attracts, supports, and retains exceptional and caring people. Monument Academy will fulfill its mission by providing stability, adult connection, high-quality academics, therapeutic support, and life skills for pre-teens and teens. Monument Academy graduates will be prepared for post-secondary education, on a career trajectory, and have the social, emotional, and self-care skills to maintain a healthy, connected, and economically self-supporting life.
About the Position:
The Math Instructional Coach is charged with bringing the vision for excellent school culture to life, including the implementation of rigorous curriculum and differentiated instruction. The Math Instructional Coach works with all school stakeholders to ensure and effective instructional program with CCSS-aligned curriculum, personalized learning and interventions and found pedagogy. S/he will collaborate closely with the Chief of Academic Programs and and across all areas of Monument Academy’s program. The Math Instructional Coach will report to the Chief of Academic Programs of Monument Academy.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Model and facilitate research-based best practices within the school’s instructional program;
- Assist teachers with the collection and analysis of data results;
- Evaluate student achievement and assist with placing students in appropriate intervention and support service;
- Identify needs and make recommendations for appropriate instructional materials and assessments that directly support an align to the CCSS and District of Columbia Standards;
- Meet regularly with collaborative planning teams and the principal to report on instructional practices and progress while also planning “next steps” for student and school improvement;
- Provide professional development on best practices in literacy instruction across the curriculum;
- Support teachers with the implementation of the components of the literacy block;
- Develop and provide materials for teachers;
- Network with other instructional coaches and participate fully in ongoing professional development to extend literacy and instructional competencies in all content areas.
- Provide literacy resources and support to foster literacy development at home and in the community;
Experience, Credentials and Skills
The qualified applicant is a strategic and results oriented leader, deeply committed to Monument Academy’s integrated approach to supporting and educating students. S/he is passionate about working with adolescents, particularly those who may require additional support to meet their unique educational and emotional needs. This individual believes that all children are capable of achieving at high levels and in the significance of making the connection between students’ aspirations for their lives and careers and their education. This person also understands and models that learning, and setback, are opportunities for growth for both students and adults. The qualified applicant will set an example as a continuous, open minded learner, devoted to evidence based practices that promote student achievement and wellbeing. S/he will inspire and support faculty and staff.
Candidates should possess the following:
Character Traits and Values
Emotional self regulation, patience, maturity, and humility
- Honesty and integrity
- Curiosity and creativity
- Optimism and enthusiasm
- Excellent people skills
- Respect for staff, students, and families
- Ability and willingness to roll up sleeves and be flexible as the school moves from planning phase to startup to scale
- Proactive and able to anticipate issues while being nimble and able to manage unanticipated events with thoughtfulness and grace
- Ability to model and maintain consistent and high expectations during stressful conditions
- Commitment to positive behavioral approaches
Experience, Credentials, and Skills
- Minimum of five years of successful classroom teaching experience in an urban setting with with children who’ve experienced trauma and or identified with specialized behavioral needs preferred
- Current teacher licensure/Special Education experience and certification preferred
- Bachelor’s degree; Master’s Degree in Education preferred
- Mentor certification preferred, content knowledge, instructional pedagogy and classroom management
- Extensive content knowledge and instructional pedagogy and classroom management
- Proficient technology skills
- Strong leadership and collaboration skills
- Knowledge of adult learning theory
- Outstanding presentation and facilitation skills
- Preferred experience in coaching and managing
Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Location: Washington, D.C.
Monument Academy offers competitive salaries, commensurate with experience. The school offers a strong benefits package that includes health care (HMO and PPO options), retirement plan (employer match available), Flexible Spending accounts, and generous vacation leave for its administrators.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
- Visit the “Careers” page on www.monumentacademy.org. Click the “Apply Here” link. You will be asked to create a profile, then fill out an application, including uploading your resume and cover letter. Salary and benefits are competitive, and commensurate with education, and level of work experience. Monument Academy is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and encourages applicants from all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, marital status, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, disability, or any other protected status. All employment decisions are made solely on the basis of the individual’s qualifications, as related to the requirements of the position being filled.