Details: $22/hour, minimum commitment of 20 hours per week (flexible scheduling and additional hours possible)
Baltimore City Public Schools is a school district on the move! Join a dedicated, energetic communications team to help tell the story of the great things students are accomplishing and the great things happening in our schools.
City Schools serves close to 80,000 young people, attending 171 schools or programs from pre-k to grade 12. The district’s communications team is seeking a talented writer/reporter to connect with students, staff, and schools to find stories that highlight our work to build a generation of leaders for Baltimore and beyond – and to share them through blog, social media, or website posts; video and photo stories; and/or press releases and pitches to media outlets. This is a contracted position for the upcoming school year, requiring a minimum commitment of 20 hours per week (flexible scheduling and additional hours possible).
The ideal candidate will have excellent writing skills; the ability to connect with the broad range of people who make up the City Schools community (students, families, staff, partners); deep understanding of how to reach different audiences through different communications channels (online, print, video, etc.); familiarity with Baltimore and its public schools; and a deep commitment to improving outcomes for Baltimore’s children and youth.
1. Identify compelling stories that align to school district initiatives and programs and/or highlight student and school activities and accomplishments
2. Conduct interviews and research to shape those stories and determine how best to share them
3. Tell stories through a variety of communications platforms, including social media posts, web or blog stories, video, newsletters, etc.
4. Pitch stories to local and national media outlets, including direct outreach to key reporters and writing media advisories and press releases
5. Contribute to developing media strategy components of communications campaigns around key district initiatives
6. Assist in monitoring media and social media coverage of the district
1. Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, writing, or related field
2. Excellent oral and written communications skills, including strong attention to detail
3. High degree of familiarity in use of social media, web, video/photography, and other media
4. Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
5. Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently and to meet deadlines on each
6. Commitment to improving outcomes for Baltimore’s children and youth
1. Knowledge of Baltimore and its public schools
2. Familiarity or background in public education
3. Experience with large, complex organizations
Level of Language Proficiency
Outstanding abilities in written and oral English
Minimum Education Required