Details: Salary is commensurate with experience
40 Worth Street
The Center for Family Representation, Inc. (CFR) is seeking an experienced and talented attorney with a deep commitment to public interest practice and policy to serve as our first experienced Appellate Attorney. CFR's mission is to ensure that every family that can remain safely together has the opportunity to do so: we are the county-wide indigent defense provider for parents accused of neglect and abuse in Queens and Manhattan Family Court. We represent clients in proceedings brought by the City pursuant to Article 10 of the Family Court Act and related proceedings, including termination of parental rights, custody, guardianship and family offense. CFR serves 2000 parents a year with an interdisciplinary service model that provides every parent with a team comprised of an attorney and a social work staff member. CFR's clients can also access the support of a Parent Advocate--our Parent Advocates are parents who have direct experience being investigated by the City, being prosecuted in family court, losing their children to foster care and then reunifying their families.
This is a unique opportunity for a competent and creative professional to assist CFR in expanding its appellate practice and improving the stability of our clients and families. Under the supervision of a Litigation Co-Director and other appropriate supervisory staff, this candidate will engage in extensive collaboration with staff attorneys in Queens and Manhattan to pursue and defend interim and final appeals related to, among other issues, visiting, exclusion orders and orders denying the return home of children.
● Write interim and final appeals in the First and Second Judicial Departments
● Write (and respond to) stay applications filed at the appellate division
● Prepare written work that is clear, concise, well-organized, accurate in citation, creative, and persuasive
● Conduct oral argument
● Collaborate with staff attorneys about potential appellate issues
● Supervise staff attorneys in writing and arguing appeals, motion papers, and other litigation related writing
● Along with the Litigation Co-Director and other appropriate supervisory staff, supervise pro bono attorneys on designated appeals
● Conduct trainings on legal writing and the development of a full record, including preserving issues for appeal
● Develop amicus opportunities for CFR
Candidates must be admitted to practice law in the State of New York and should have at least 3-5 years of relevant legal experience, including experience working on appeals. The ideal candidate will have excellent written and oral advocacy skills, a proven ability to prioritize requests and meet deadlines, an ability to work collaboratively in teams and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Prior supervisory experience is preferred. This could be a full or part time position.
Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply; CFR is an EOE
Excellent benefits package
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Applicants should email a cover letter, resume, writing sample and 3 references to HR@cfrny.org. Please write "Senior Appellate Attorney” in the subject line. No phone inquiries please. Please note we are not able to respond directly to each applicant to acknowledge receipt of materials.