Details: Commensurate with experience
One Bulfinch Place
The Communications Director for Make-A-Wish Massachusetts and Rhode Island (MAWMARI) will be accountable for but not limited to the following key responsibilities:
- Develop, with input from department directors and other key stakeholders, an annual overarching marketing and communications plan to support the advancement of MAWMARI in its two-state territory.
- With communications/publications staff, both oversee and directly prepare marketing and communications collateral, including event and promotions publications, newsletters, organizational brochures, and fundraising solicitation materials, including annual campaign brochures.
- Develop a comprehensive media relations plan for each key initiative and for the overarching mission of the organization: wish PR. In partnership with, and with support from, key communications staff, seek external media opportunities and serve as spokesperson or engage CEO or lead staff members.
- Oversee, support, and engage in website updates ensuring compliance with national standards.
- Lead communications staff to ensure that the organization is active in promoting our activities and events through social media channels and as requested through Make-A-Wish America (MAWA).
- Oversee and engage in discussion of key wish stories for promotion and brand visibility where and when appropriate and sanctioned by family and wish departmental leadership.
- Engage in marketing and promotion of signature fundraising events (e.g., Annual Gala, golf tournaments, Evening of Wishes Dinner, Wine and Wishes, etc.) throughout two-state territory in partnership and collaboration with events staff.
- Partner with communications/publications staff and others to develop and execute on program material design and launch for local promotions and national promotions (in collaboration with MAWA).
- Oversee internal and external use of Make-A-Wish brand and related trademarks and logos by internal and external constituents when needed.
- Develop and manage communications budget in partnership with department leads and CEO.
- Develop and employ appropriate metrics and analytics to ensure efficacy of marketing and communications programs, particularly focusing on time spent on social media and the return.
- Manage communications and PR staff.
- Partner with other Make-A-Wish colleagues from major market chapters and MAWA, and participate in best practice exchange and other communications fora.
- Keep current on and follow all local MAWMARI policies and programs as well as national standards.
- Support and partner with other colleagues to advance the overall agenda of the organization.
- Support overall goals of the organization.
- Other assignments and duties may be forthcoming from time to time from the CEO.
Excellent benefits and work environment.
Level of Language Proficiency
The position calls for a versatile leader with integrity, an understanding of the nonprofit sector, and strong communication and interpersonal skills. The successful candidate is an individual who enjoys working in a fast-paced, results-oriented, and mission/team-focused environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English, Communications, or Marketing is required; Master’s Degree in communications preferred;
- Successful integrated marketing and communications professional (7 plus years) with a track record of developing consumer-facing strategies and programs across a variety of channels to engage audiences, in partnership with colleagues, and to increase visibility of organization;
- Nonprofit professional work experience preferred;
- Collaborative team member who is comfortable working as an independent contributor on a project and as a member of a team;
- Superior written, oral, and public speaking skills;
- Flexible, engaged, and supportive colleague and team member;
- Attention to detail and quality at all times;
- A customer service, can-do attitude is required;
- Must be willing to work evening and weekend hours as needed; and
- A sense of humor will be appreciated.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Make-A-Wish Massachusetts and Rhode Island has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Liz Lombard and Turner Delano here.
MAWFMARI is committed to providing a work environment in which all employees enjoy equal employment opportunities. All employment related decisions are made without regard to a person’s race, color, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disabilities, sexual orientation, or any other basis, which is illegal under applicable federal, state and local laws.