The board of Bethesda Green is in search of a new Executive Director to lead the organization. Imagine a place where your leadership can have an impact on sustainability and your community. Bethesda Green is a ten-year-old nonprofit based in Bethesda, Montgomery County, Maryland. Bethesda Green’s mission is to accelerate the sustainable economy locally with a focus on innovation, impact, and community. We are an Incubator, a Connector, and a Community Partner, acting in synergy, with impact. The new Executive Director will have the opportunity to take the organization to the next level helping to make Bethesda and Montgomery County leaders in green business.
Bethesda Green was founded in 2008 by Honest Tea founder, Seth Goldman and Montgomery Councilmember, George Leventhal. From their vision, the organization has emerged as an asset to the surrounding community.
Our three program areas are designed to support both the development of companies that promote sustainability as well as support the community in growing new businesses and in building a sustainable community.
Be Green Hub: The program is built on the idea of nurturing green and social impact start-ups to accelerate their success as viable companies. The Be Green Hub focuses on start-ups that are past the ideation stage, whose aim advances a sustainable, impactful and purposeful economy.
Be Impact: The Be Impact initiative provides participating companies with tools and workshops to benchmark, express and improve their triple-bottom-line impact (people, profit, planet). Through this program, we support the development of a triple-bottom-line business philosophy in which companies strive for excellent business results, attract the best workers and have a positive impact.
Be Community: As a community partner, Bethesda Green launches initiatives that inform and connect people, public and private organizations, synergistically toward local innovative solutions, engaging members of the community through our Sustainability Series and developing the next generation through our growing Leadership Academy.
The Opportunity: The Executive Director (ED) is responsible for the leadership and operations of Bethesda Green, including leading strategy development, meeting financial goals and successfully fulfilling the mission. S/He will have an experience base to understand and navigate a network-based, multifaceted organization. The ED will provide leadership to a team responsible for building and maintaining effective working relationships amongst its network of community partners, donors, government agencies and the people and companies the organization serves. S/He will have a proven track record of leading an organization of comparable level of complexity. The ED will provide dynamic leadership for Bethesda Green, building consensus between diverse partners, and developing strategic relationships with external stakeholders.
• Provide strategic leadership for the organization and translate those strategies into actionable plans.
• Working with the staff and Board of Directors, set annual and long-term strategic priorities and measurable objectives.
• Manage financials operations and ensure the organization’s financial health.
• Oversee operations to ensure Bethesda Green is a well-managed and highly respected organization.
• Serve as the chief fundraiser, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donor relationships.
• Develop and manage strategic partnerships.
• Maintain and increase brand awareness for Bethesda Green among existing and new constituencies, across the county and region.
• Collaborate in the development of the board of directors.
• Serve as the spokesperson and key influencer for Bethesda Green.
• Provide an encouraging and supportive environment for talented team members to achieve excellence while establishing accountability.
• Provide internal policies and procedures that facilitate the success of team members and the organization.
Minimum Education Required