41 Madison Avenue
Smile Train seeks an experienced database administrator for our global programs and grants database. The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable about managing multi-lingual, multi-currency information systems, understand the importance of data integrity, and have a commitment to an efficient and simple user experience for the database. Our organization is filled with passionate and top-quality team members, we offer excellent benefits, and hope to identify the best candidate to come on board quickly.
Smile Train is an international children's charity with a sustainable approach to a single, solvable problem: cleft lip and palate. Millions of children in developing countries with unrepaired clefts live in isolation, but more importantly, have difficulty eating, breathing and speaking. Our sustainable model provides training, funding, and resources to empower local doctors in 85+ developing countries to provide 100%-free cleft repair surgery and comprehensive cleft care in their communities. To enable this vision, Smile Train manages a variety of grant programs, including cleft treatment, education, equipment, awareness/outreach, and more via thousands of grants every year to 1,100+ local partner hospitals.
The programs database supports Smile Train’s international grantmaking process from beginning to end, including application review, grant & award letters, grant payments, grant reports, and grant outcomes. In addition to grant management, the database provides contact management, reporting, and workflow tools for the global programs department. Of note is that the individual in this position will be a key team member in transitioning to a new database this year.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
· Develop and maintain database setup and how it supports Smile Train’s grantmaking and programs and interfaces with other databases (cleft treatment and finance databases). In particular, ensure efficient user experience around the globe for applicants, partners, and team members, support multi-lingual and multi-currency grantmaking needs and enable robust grant reporting across program areas.
· Design, implement, and maintain programs and grants workflow processes and procedures in the database.
· Work with implementation firm to perform data and file migration to the new system.
· Coordinate with finance department to ensure grants and finance databases work together in the most efficient way.
· Train staff (local and international) on use of the programs database, including creation and maintenance of database User Manual and training materials.
· Make any needed changes to database coding or custom fields.
· Control database access (assign users and user rights).
· Ensure and maintain data integrity.
· Perform data imports and updates.
· Perform data reconciliation between programs and finance databases.
· Create and produce custom reports, searches, and saved database views for users.
· Troubleshoot database issues and liaise with technical support as needed.
· Liaise with software vendors as needed.
· Perform/manage product updates.
· Create and maintain document templates.
· Provide database reports and responses to inquiries as requested.
· Communicate externally with grantees and applicants & internally with program and finance staff.
· Perform grants management tasks as assigned to assist with the administration of Smile Train grants and partner support processes, including application, payment and reporting processes.
· Bachelor’s Degree and at least 2 years’ experience as a database administrator. foundationConnect/Salesforce and/or international grantmaking experience a plus.
· HTML and/or User Interface experience useful, but not necessary.
· Excellent Excel skills.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Project management and critical thinking skills.
· Very organized and efficient.
· Self-starter with strong time management skills: ability to prioritize and handle several projects at one time.
· A strong work ethic and a positive attitude.
· Professional and friendly.
· A passion for giving back and helping others, in particular in the areas of international or children’s health programs.
Smile Train offers a very competitive benefits package with health, vision, dental, and 401k.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Smile Train is committed to diversity among its employees and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply. Please submit a resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Manager, Grants Database in the subject of the email. Local candidates only; relocation assistance is not available at this time. In compliance with the law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.