1970 Broadway, Suite 1125
The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Operations Manager will be responsible for office management, payroll, IT management, and supporting the organization’s HR and finance functions in collaboration with the Director of Finance & Operations and the Executive Director, and other misc. tasks.
Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, this position's primary responsibility is ensuring organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's operations functions.
This is a full-time exempt position.
- Manages phone and email system
- Ensures all office equipment is functioning and solves with vendors as appropriate
- Supports logistics and planning for office move
- Ensures office supplies are stocked and responsible for ordering supplies
- Performs payroll and manages 401K platform
- Supports implementation of all recruitment, hiring and onboarding processes of staff and interns
- Acts as liaison between staff and benefits broker
- Ensures full compliance with federal, state, local laws and/or regulations with support from Director of Finance & Operations
- Manages IT services for organization including overseeing technology implementation in coordination with departments and consultants
- Ensures organizational compliance in digital security and protection
- Supports strategic planning to ensure ongoing improvement to office technological capabilities
- Attends industry trainings to stay up to date on market trends
- Provides administrative support to the Executive Director including coordination of travel, logistics, credit card reconciliation, and meetings/engagements based on understanding of Executive Director’s priorities and commitments
- Opens, sorts mail and prepares checks for finance and development teams
- Works with bookkeeper to ensure timeliness of accounts payables
- Reviews and approves credit card reconciliation on a monthly basis
- Prepares outgoing mail for finance team
- Supports Director of Finance & Operations in special projects, tasks, as needed
- 2-4 years in an administrative position.
- Ability to multitask and handle competing demands; prioritize and manage focus and productivity effectively; ability to manage time and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and demonstrate strong initiative and leadership.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofing skills.
- Ability to be discreet and judicious with non-routine and private information.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle time-sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism.
- Superior organizational skills, and the ability to create, implement, and maintain systems to improve the efficiency of the office.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written).
- Proficiency in Mac interfaces and all Microsoft Office applications.
- Familiarity with and commitment to racial and social justice; clear understanding of EBC’s mission and programs.
- High school diploma or GED; college diploma a plus.
- Nonprofit experience, bilingual skills a plus.
- Technical capability
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Decision Making
- Project Management
- Communication Proficiency
- Teamwork Orientation
We offer a competitive benefits package:
- Employer paid healthcare insurance which includes medical, dental, vision, chiropractor, and acupuncture
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, and holidays
- 401(k) plan with up to 3% employer match
- Commuter benefits
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org