Human Resources Assistant
Posted: July 7, 2021
CJA is New York City’s primary pretrial service agency, providing services and solutions to reduce jail overcrowding and unnecessary detention in New York City. A non-profit agency funded through the Mayor’s Office of Criminal Justice, CJA is uniquely positioned to provide the City’s Criminal Justice leaders, policymakers and stakeholders with information, technical expertise and research about people arrested within the 5 boroughs of NYC.
Each of CJA’s 280+ employees are guided by these values in our work:
- Commitment: We are committed to being active partners in criminal justice reform through initiatives and creative problem-solving that evaluates different methods and strategies for alternatives to detention.
- Fairness: We are guided by fairness and the presumption of innocence for those who are detained and work with integrity and without bias to protect the privacy and interest of court-involved people and their families.
- Innovation: We value curiosity as a driving force to lead the way in pretrial services. We use innovative techniques in research, pilot programs, and engaging justice-involved communities to execute our mission of reducing unnecessary pretrial detention.
To learn more about CJA, visit www.nycja.org
The Human Resources Assistant will respond to staff inquiries and will provide exceptional administrative support to the HR Team in an effort to ensure that CJA staff members have what they need to be highly engaged and satisfied employees. In pursuit of this goal, the HR Assistant will engage in administrative activities such as event scheduling, e-filing and manual record keeping, as well as managing important projects such establishing the HR team’s first FAQ Resources dashboard and ticketing request system and ensuring that all staff members get the HR information they need to access services, tools, information and resources to support a successful employment experience. The Human Resources Assistant will report directly to the Executive Director of People and Culture and will reflect the commitment, professionalism, and integrity of the entire HR Team in all interactions with staff, partners, and vendors.
We seek a confident person, self-starter, and quick learner able to engage staff at all levels, and of various racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, experiences and identities. The ideal candidate is someone looking to start a career in Human Resources, who approaches their work with care and integrity and understands the value of collaborative working in service to the organization's mission.
- Manages the Director’s calendar ensuring that the calendar is accurate and up to date and that appropriate amount of time is allotted to the highest priorities. Responds to meeting request within 24 hours and makes sure that the HR Director’s calendar is always accurate and up to date
- Prepares agendas for all the Director’s meetings with background info, reading materials, presentations and collaborators updated. Takes or maintains meeting minutes.
- On an ongoing basis, ensures all employee documents, both electronic and paper is properly filed, and catalogued in the right location, and in compliance with applicable record retention policies.
- Uses organization tools and practices to appropriately protect and handling documents of a confidential or sensitive nature
- Responds to employee requests for HR information with accurate information and in a timely manner
- Completes employment verification in a timely manner and in accordance with established procedures
- Ensures that all people (both internal and external) coming in contact with the HR team has a welcoming and respectful experienced rooted in efficient customer service
- Supports efforts to maintain accuracy of employee data in our HR systems through diligent quality control
- Assist with running reports from our data systems to support routine tasks and report or project-based work
- Drafts and sends organization-wide correspondence to staff members such as updated e-mails, announcements, or instructional one-pagers (infographics, google docs)
- Supports the benefits administration function by assisting with enrolling new hires in benefits, processing “qualifying events” changes (such as adding dependents and changing names), and processing employee leaves
- Assist in the administration of our Performance Management processes by tracking completion
- Supports the tracking, recording and archiving of materials for the Learning Management System
- Provides data entry, tracking and quality control for recruitment activities through the ATS
- Track HR department expense and reimbursement receipts
- Assist the HR Team and Departmental managers in recruitment by ensuring that they have all necessary promotional materials organized for each event (both virtual and in-person)
- Establish and manage the HR team’s first FAQ dashboard and ticketing request system to ensure that e-mail questions and requests from employees are captured, routed to the appropriate staff member, and answered in a timely manner
- Create and manage the ticketing system dashboard to track the team’s success and areas for improvement in resolving employee questions and requests
- Supports the HR Team's creation of surveys to gather information and opinions
- 1-2 years of experience providing administrative support required
- Some knowledge of HR processes & procedures, preferred.
- Relevant experience working in a mid-sized non-profit or human or social service environment, a plus
- College degree, preferred
Organization & Time Management
- Highly organized, with a track record of meeting both short and long-term responsibilities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, high volume organization
- Track record of designing and implementing systems and processes that deliver excellent results
- Detail-oriented and thorough, with a high bar for accuracy, ability to identify discrepancies quickly and proof documents for accuracy
Customer Service and Communication
- Motivated by providing exceptional customer service that is confident, compassionate, respectful, and informed
- Anticipates needs, takes initiative as a resourceful, problem-solver
- Establishes rapport easily with others by building trust
- Exceptional communication – written and verbal with the ability to convey messages for different audiences
- Experience with data entry and comfortable navigating tech systems (CJA uses Paycom and Greenhouse, but familiarity with these systems is not required. Must be comfortable in learning and navigating new systems)
- Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint proficiency required
- Google Suite experience (Docs, Sheets, Slides) is desired, but not required
- Familiarity with cloud-based file organization and storage (ex: Sharepoint or Citrix Share file)
- Comfortable using on-line meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams, Google. WebEx etc.)
- Passion for our mission and commitment to our core values of commitment, fairness, and innovation
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this role is between $52-$56.1K, commensurate with experience. CJA offers a very generous benefit plan including health, dental and vision insurance, a comprehensive mental health and wellness (EAP) plan, four weeks’ vacation, paid holidays and a retirement plan with employer matching contributions. CJA is also strongly committed to professional learning and development for its staff members and offers staff varied opportunities for learning and development through partnerships and vendor services for web-based, in-person professional development training, as well as in-house job training and development.
Note: Due to the nationwide pandemic CJA has implemented a hybrid working structure blending both in-person and remote work for most staff. While it is uncertain what phase NYC will be in at the time of hire, the successful hire must be willing to assume responsibilities that are both remote and on-site at our central office location in lower Manhattan. In-person work of 3 days per week will be required in September of 2021. The HR Assistant will generally work during core business hours, Monday - Friday. Overtime will be paid accordingly.
Equal Opportunity Employer
CJA is committed to creating a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
To Apply visit our careers page www.nycja.org/work-with-us
Deadline to Apply: July 21, 2021