Disability Rights Advocates (DRA) is the leading nonprofit disability rights legal center in the nation advancing equal rights and opportunities for people with all types of disabilities. With offices in California and New York, DRA represents people with disabilities in complex, system-change, class-action cases, achieving dramatic improvements in all areas of life: technology, health care, employment, transportation, education, disaster preparedness planning, voting, juvenile justice, and housing.
For more information on DRA’s mission and impact visit www.dralegal.org
DRA seeks a resourceful, friendly, and organized Full-Charge Bookkeeper with a few years’ experience and proficiency using QuickBooks and Paylocity. Reporting to and working closely with our Director of Finance, DRA’s Bookkeeper will oversee the full cycle of bookkeeping and payroll functions, including A/P and A/R, expense allocations, and the monthly close. This is a full time, non-exempt position in our Berkeley, CA office.
Ideal candidates excel at working collaboratively in a highly professional environment. The accounting function expanded to two positions a year ago, and operates with recently revamped processes and procedures that make for a happy, low-stress work environment.
With an organizational budget of $6M and a staff of 30 people, DRA is a highly collegial, financially stable civil rights organization, celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2018.
· Manage A/P and A/R processes: ensure required approvals and documentation (including expense reimbursements), and enter data into QuickBooks
· Prepare and process weekly check runs, prepare bank deposits, and monitor operating cash levels
· Maintain general ledger and subsidiary ledgers, including updated fixed assets schedules
· Perform monthly, quarterly, and annual closes, including bank and credit card reconciliations and shared cost allocations, meeting close schedule deadlines
· Assist in tracking and reporting restricted income and spending against grants
· Maintain systems for tracking legal case expenses and revenue releases over multiple years
· Create and maintain sharable, audit-compliant filing systems for accounting and payroll documentation
· Partner with management to ensure accurate monthly invoices for benefits, IT services, property management, etc.
· Ensure sound financial accounting practices and compliance with approved procedures
Payroll & Benefits
· Collect and input all payroll data into Paylocity and run semi-monthly payroll; communicate with staff to ensure timely submission of completed, approved timesheets
· On-board new employees into Paylocity, and calculate final checks for terminating employees
· Run Paylocity reports for management review
· Respond to employee questions regarding payroll
· Confirm submission of quarterly and year end payroll taxes and reports by Paylocity
· Coordinate preparation of annual 1099’s
Financial Reporting, Audit, Budget, and Other Responsibilities
· Ensure the accuracy and completeness of financial data, in support of monthly close and grant reporting schedules
· Support the annual audit process by preparing audit schedules and providing documentation and information to external auditors during all phases of the audit
· Coordinate with the development department on proper coding of contributed income and releases of restricted revenue
· Run ad hoc reports on legal case expenditures
· Assist with developing the annual budget and inputting it into QuickBooks
Required Skills & Experience
· Minimum 4 years’ experience in an independently functioning, full-charge bookkeeper role; nonprofit experience strongly preferred
· Highly organized with reliable and accurate collection, reporting, and communication skills
· Demonstrated proficiency in QuickBooks, MS Excel, Word, Outlook, and electronic third-party payroll systems (preferably Paylocity)
· Demonstrated knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as they pertain to nonprofit accounting, and experience with grant management and reporting
· Proven ability to prioritize and complete work on an agreed-upon timeline
· Ability to work collaboratively and responsively with program, development, operations, and administration staff
Preferred Skills & Experience
· B.A. or A.A. in Accounting, or equivalent experience
· Experience working with Paylocity
DRA offers a competitive base salary with comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance with 100% employer-paid premiums, 401(k) with company contribution, generous holiday and paid time off benefits, and additional health and commuter benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please send the following to email@example.com with “Bookkeeper” as the subject:
1. Cover letter including compensation expectations and how you learned about this role
3. Three professional references (at least two direct supervisors)
DRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and gender expression, disability, veteran status, or any other category protected under the law.