Details: Salary is commensurate with experience
Rising Sun Energy Center is hiring a Career Services Manager for its Green Energy Training Services (GETS) program. The Career Services Manager is responsible for providing career services and job placement support to adult program participants who are experiencing barriers to employment. The Career Services Manager builds and maintains strong relationships with the building trades unions, apprenticeship programs, solar employers, construction employers, and related stakeholders.
The Career Services Manager meets regularly with each participant, helps them to develop a Professional Employment Plan, and provides ongoing job referrals and support, all with a goal of assisting participants to gain and retain sustainable employment that can lift them out of poverty.
The Career Services Manager reports directly to the Director of Programs, works in partnership with a dedicated GETS team, and is an integral part of an organization committed to making a significant and lasting impact in the lives of hundreds of people every year.
A successful Career Services Manager…
· Has a passion and a calling for working one-on-one with adults who need additional support to be successful in their careers
· Has a strong understanding of apprenticeship programs and union requirements; holds connections with local unions and construction employers
· Enjoys working in the community and meeting new people; extroverted with strong relationship-building skills
· Has an aptitude for motivating job seekers, and a toolkit of resources to help those job seekers set goals, as well as find, obtain, and stay in a career
· Maintains professional boundaries while treating individuals with respect and compassion
· Remains calm under pressure; handles emotionally-challenging situations with professionalism and intention
· Is highly skilled at classroom management; has experience training adult learners on job readiness and professional development topics
· Is extremely well-organized; able to create and maintain all necessary paperwork, data, and case notes to ensure outcomes are achieved for each participant
· Is committed to empowering individuals to succeed
· Can serve as a model and a coach for GETS program participants; offering stability and consistency
· Communicates effectively with program participants, team members, partners, and employers; able to develop rapport and build trust with a diverse range of individuals
· Is comfortable and has experience using databases, Google Suite, and Microsoft Office
· Brings at least 2 years’ experience working with disadvantaged and/or low-income individuals
· Brings at least 2 years’ experience working in job or workforce development
The Career Services Manager is responsible for…
· Providing career services, including job placement support, for 60-80 individuals each year, ensuring all goals for job placement and retention are met
· Supporting each participant during cohort and for a 12-month period in their search for a job and/or apprenticeship; helping them identify goals and strengths, supporting them in test and interview prep, referring them to opportunities, maintaining a job search log, sending weekly job postings, etc.
· Developing lesson plans, and teaching/training, topics relevant to finding, getting, and keeping a job, such as resumes, interview preparation, the job search, hunt vs. list trades, etc.
· Outreaching to and meeting with unions, apprenticeship programs, construction and solar companies, to build and maintain a referral network for job placement
· Planning and coordinating cohort field trips to job sites, training centers, and local union shops
· Tracking, verifying, and recording job retention through collection of pay stubs; tracking all placement, employment verification, and employment retention outcomes
· Tracking employer outreach; tracking career placement and apprenticeships; logging case notes and keeping all required forms and documentation updated
· Creating, coordinating, and facilitating the Employer Advisory Council, to ensure the curriculum aligns with employer needs and to maintain strong employer relationships
· Facilitating monthly alumni meetings; planning and hosting ongoing job readiness workshops and other gatherings for program alumni; conducting outreach to alumni to keep them engaged and connected
· Providing coverage and support during program activities, including graduation
· Working in close coordination with all members of the GETS team to meet graduation, placement, and retention goals, as well as to ensure a seamless, positive experience for each participant
· Working with the GETS team to continually improve the program and participant outcomes
· Other responsibilities as required
To hold this position, you must…
(We are serious; no matter how much we like you, we simply cannot consider you for this position if you don’t meet the following:)
· Have a car, valid driver’s license, and insurance
· Able to travel within the East Bay
· Be able to work some flexible hours (e.g., evenings and occasional weekends)
It’s a big plus if you…
· Have experience working with workforce development programs
· Have direct experience in or with the building and construction trades
· Have experience with the Multi-Craft Core Curriculum
· Have experience using databases such as Salesforce and/or CalJobs
· Have experience working with the re-entry population
About Rising Sun…
Rising Sun is a premier nonprofit organization working at the intersection of economic equality and climate resilience in the greater California Bay Area since 1994. Our GETS program provides pre-apprenticeship training, case management, and job placement to prepare low-income adults who experience barriers to employment for careers in construction, energy efficiency, solar, and the building trades. Our CYES program employs local youth to provide free residential energy and water efficiency installation and education services, or Green House Calls, and operates in six Bay Area and Central Valley counties.
About our culture…
We are mission-driven and work hard because we care deeply about what we do. We like working with each other and we like to make work fun. We like to try new things and encourage each other to find unique and unconventional ways to tackle tough problems. We celebrate every birthday, eat a lot of dessert together, and recycle the same birthday candles until they’re gone. There’s usually at least one dog hanging around the office, and sometimes a staff member’s kid or two as well. We want people to grow. We like to promote from within and build each other up, but we also like to bring in new ideas and different perspectives. We’re looking forward to meeting you and hearing about how you can contribute to making Rising Sun a great place to work.
You might also be wondering about pay and benefits…
This is an exempt, full-time, salaried position. Salary is commensurate with experience and competitive with other nonprofit organizations. Rising Sun offers a competitive benefits package that includes paid time off, personal, and parental leave, access to a 403b retirement plan, and work-from-home options. Rising Sun covers 100% of employee medical, dental, vision, and life insurance premiums, and covers 50% of the premiums for dependents.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email your resume, cover letter, and three professional references and include “GETS Career Services Manager” in the subject line.