45 Wadsworth Avenue
Job Title: Security Officer
Reports to: Office Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt- Hourly
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979 that has grown into a leading multiservice agency with a staff of over 100 serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs, integrating numerous crisis intervention services under one roof. With their crises resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families from crisis to self sufficiency.
- Our Legal Services, Social Services, and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including housing, income, and health.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers groups of residents to collectively secure longer term and larger scale improvements to their own basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the additional practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
NMIC’s Security Officer secures premises and monitoring personnel by patrolling property; monitoring surveillance equipment; patrolling building, equipment, and access points for nine-story office building in Washington Heights; permitting entry.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Patrol and inspect building to protect against fire, theft, vandalism, and to deter criminal activity or other problems related to client/employee safety.
- Maintain order and direct clients to correct classrooms or offices.
- Make sure only seven individuals are on the elevator at one time.
- Make sure people are not loitering in the stairwells or smoking on the premises.
- Provide assistance to employees with clients who are disruptive.
- Write incident reports describing any problems, accidents, theft or incidents that occurred during on-duty shifts.
- At the end of the evening, make sure all of the staff and students have left the 2nd and 4th floors.
- Lock the doors and set alarms on all floors.
- If employees are still working at the time that the security shift ends, alert said employees reminding them that they are responsible for locking their floor and the main entrance/exit.
- Stairwell doors must also be checked and locked.
- Patrol floor by being on each floor at least twice hourly. Stairwells should be checked.
- Personal cell phone usage should be reduced during on-duty hours.
- Whenever floor rounds are being made after hours, be sure to lock the entrance to the first floor work area.
- In log book, record any unusual occurrences and the names of all employees left behind at the close of the on-duty shift.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- HS or GED with 2(+) years as a security officer (preferably in a building setting).
- NYS Security Officer certification/license is required.
- Must be at least 21 years old with the ability to work in the United States.
- Criminal background check required.
- Bilingual skills in Spanish/English required as well as proficiency with written English.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Certification in any of the following is a plus.
- First-Aid/CPR/AED (American Heart Association/ American Red Cross)
- Chemical Agent Certification (Hand-Held)
- Expandable Baton Certification
- Ability to meet and greet public and maintain poise and self-control under stress.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds (men and women) to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements in terms of qualifications. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
BENEFITS In addition to the salary, NMIC provides health, dental, LTD and Life Insurance, 401(k) Employer Contribution, 4 weeks’ vacation and other generous time-off benefits to its employees.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
Minimum Education Required