5161 Sheridan Boulevard
Colorado Outward Bound School (COBS) is a non-profit adventure-based education organization that emphasizes personal growth through challenge and experience. For over 50 years, our wilderness courses have focused on inspiring responsibility, teamwork, confidence, compassion, and environmental and community stewardship.
The Business Development Associate is an entry level outbound sales position connecting potential clients to Colorado Outward Bound School custom course offerings. The position is responsible for growing and maintaining client-paid enrollment at COBS, with a heavy emphasis on non-summer enrollment for client types including colleges, corporations, government agencies and professional groups and businesses.
This position works closely with the Business Development Manager and Sales & Marketing Director to explore new client opportunities and identify and connect with qualified leads, building the COBS brand and revenue through connecting our School’s philosophy, methods and experience with clients’ desires for development, opportunities, training and personal growth.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Significant part of the position is prospecting for new clients: compiling target lists of prospective customers for use as sales leads, based on information from newspapers, business directories, industry ads, networking, trade shows, internet websites, and other sources.
· Recommendations on COBS partnership and membership opportunities.
· Actively build new client base through initiating outbound sales calls, pursuing new business opportunities, and setting meetings.
· Research, understand, and report to Sales & Marketing team relevant trends at a regional and national level.
· Enters new customer data and other sales data for current customers into computer database.
· Informs Sales & Marketing Director of recommended adjustments to sales strategy to achieve organizational sales goals and revenue.
· Coordinate with Education Director to sell programs at places / times with operational capacity.
· As book of business grows, serve as liaison with client following the sale including program design, conducting orientations as needed, managing paper flow, and post-course debrief.
· Represent COBS with the highest degree of integrity and professionalism and consistent with the mission and brand positioning.
· Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
· Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and seeks clarification; responds well to questions; demonstrates group presentation skills; participates in meetings.
· Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
· Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; responds to feedback and direction; takes responsibility for own actions; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
· Strategic Thinking - Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; analyzes market and competition.
· Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely and resourceful manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
· Project Management - Develops project plans; coordinates projects; communicates changes and progress; uses time efficiently; completes projects on time and budget.
· Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; responds promptly to customer needs; solicits customer feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance; meets commitments.
· Interpersonal - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
Skills and Experience
· Language Ability: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and industry data. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public.
· Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
· Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; Accounting software; Database software (Salesforce preferred) and Contact Management systems.
· Education/Experience: 1-3 years’ experience in sales.
· Certificates and Licenses: No certifications needed
· Supervisory Responsibilities: none
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Location and work environment
Works out of Denver, Colorado 95%. Occasional travel to remote sites possible. Travel accommodation may be rustic, with limited shower, kitchen and internet access.
Compensation and Benefits
· Hourly rate $14.71-$18 plus bonuses up to $500/month
· This is Full Time, benefited positon. COBS offers a generous Health, Vision and Dental package with access to Short, Long term Disability, Life and Accident Insurance, PTO and a number of fringe benefit programs.
Please apply with cover letter and resume to AJ Wojtalik (she/her). Closing date 7.20.18
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required