Scope of work & key responsibilities:
Students for Education Reform (SFER) seeks a motivated, driven, high-achieving professional with a collaborative attitude to join the National Organizing Team. The Deputy Organizing Manager will have the unique opportunity to have lasting impact on SFER’s state organizers by providing training, coaching, and consulting to staff, while simultaneously working to develop an innovative and accessible organizing curriculum to build a scalable training program customized to accelerate SFER’s mission.
SFER develops college students into grassroots organizers who fight for educational justice in their communities. SFER is a student movement that champions educational equity for all children, regardless of race or background. We understand our local school boards are influential partners in advancing our mission. As such, SFER often collaborates with its sister 501c4 organization, SFER Action Network, to recruit, endorse and campaign for local school board candidates that reflect our values.
Why work for SFER? Education is a social equalizer and this role gives you the opportunity to make an impact at the national level. We approach it with the audacity of believing that students have the power to change the education system and the humility to know it takes time and that thousands have come before us in this fight. We work with urgency, passion, and — most importantly — a lot of joy. We are looking for talented, passionate individuals to join our team and work with us to continue the fight for educational equality.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
[50%] City-based organizers. These will be generally novice/early organizers within their first 1-2 years in the profession and at SFER. Organizers will be planning and conducting issue and electoral campaigns from scratch, co-creating with members. Management includes:
- Weekly 1:1 phone or video check in with each direct report
- Bi-monthly or monthly shadowing on the ground, approximately 3-6 days total, shadowing and coaching organizers
- Coach, train, shadow, evaluate organizers
- Ensure organizers complete assignments for strategic planning & execution in their cities
- Conduct annual performance reviews
- Fill open roles when necessary and on-board new organizing team members.
[20%] Serve as the Training Lead on our team. Co-create organizing curriculum with National Director of Organizing. Create trainings and/or improve current training resources –decks, methodology for delivery, sequencing (leverage organizers where it’s a strong growth area for them). Deliver trainings to staff and members. Train staff to deliver trainings to members. Co-create trackers to understand how staff and members are progressing through our trainings, and evaluate delivery and content.
20%] Serve as a senior member of the Organizing Team. Support in the creation of materials and assignments to support our Organizing Program. Support in strategy, planning, preparation and delivery of the Weekly Organizing Call and team trainings and retreats. Step in to lead team meetings, coaching and shadowing need in lieu of the National Director of Organizing. Complete special projects designed to improve our organizing model as assigned by National Director of Organizing, (examples include: improving member engagement; improving electoral work; ensuring our curriculum reflects our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; and piloting new ways to bring our organizing program to scale).
[10%] Scout for organizing talent. Constantly meet and conduct informational interviews with organizing talent. Create bench of talent for future roles and anticipating natural organizer turnover over the next strategic plan. Co-create organizer screening, hiring, and onboarding process with National Director of Organizing. Serve as the hiring manager for open organizing roles.
Need to have:
- Minimum 3-5 years organizing experience.
- Successful experience building an energized, motivated volunteer program.
- Successful experience in issue organizing. Ideally multiple cycles, including building a volunteer base, moving members into action, and creating campaign plans from scratch.
- Successful experience managing organizers. These organizers should have experienced success building energized, motivated volunteer programs and moving members into powerful actions. Their prior teams should have strengthened in performance under their leadership in issue or electoral settings. Comfort and experience having direct conversations about performance or conduct concerns.
- Successful experience training grassroots organizers. Creating trainings. Delivering trainings in engaging, effective ways that build members’ skills.
- Strong alignment with SFER’s Statement of Beliefs and Theory of Change including a track record of working in diverse and low income communities.
- Experience with curriculum design.
- Willing to travel 50-60%.
- Strong project management skills.
- Wants to work insanely hard with passion and love and a deep hunger for advancing justice through organizing!
Nice to have:
- Electoral campaign experience. As a Field Organizer or Field Director, familiarity with field data, strategy, software, voter targeting, building & motivating an effective volunteer canvass, quality checks.
- Strong writing skills.
- Experience analyzing local politics.
- Growth. We give and get a high volume of feedback and work relentlessly to improve.
- Voice. We exist to empower our members and create a powerful voice for students in the policy sphere.
- Tenacity. We set big goals, persist in the face of challenges, and commit to excellence.
- Audacity & Humility. We are willing to take risks, think big, and work hard to bring about transformational change, even while acting and listening with humility, respect, and empathy.
- Dignity. We commit to social justice work because we believe in the fundamental value of every child and person.
- Collaborative Leadership. Empowering others is the hallmark of transformational leadership. We emphasize both personal growth and shared responsibility while investing in our greatest resource: our people.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Students for Education Reform seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects our student movement.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Email email@example.com with a resume and a cover letter explaining why you are an ideal candidate for this position. Please indicate in your letter where you learned of the position. A limited number of candidates will be scheduled for phone interviews.