The Center on Policy Initiatives is a research and action institute dedicated to creating economic prosperity, sustainable communities and a healthy environment for all. CPI serves a unique role in the San Diego region providing the analysis, policy solutions, education and alliances that advance social and economic justice.
Founded in 1997, the Center on Policy Initiatives has been at the forefront of the economic justice movement in San Diego. CPI works to increase access to good jobs and to improve conditions for low-wage workers and their families. The organization envisions local government as an effective champion for the common good, and works to enable residents of all communities to have an informed and powerful voice in decisions affecting their quality of life.
CPI seeks a Researcher/Policy Analyst who is passionate about economic and social justice, meticulous about research and able to strategically plan and implement both short- and long-term research and issue-based campaign work.
CPI’s Research Team conducts various types of research to inform policy development and campaign strategy and to educate lawmakers and the public on issues relating to the economy, equity, low-wage work, and access to middle class careers in San Diego. The position reports to the Deputy Director.
• Carry out research on policies and their impacts.
• Write policy briefs and reports.
• Present research findings orally at community meetings, government hearings, and other venues.
• Lead and support campaign efforts including developing collective goals, strategy, advocacy, and connecting research and policy with organizing.
• Coordinate with partner organizations and government officials.
• Collaborate with CPI staff to meet campaign goals.
• Collaborate with CPI staff to develop accessible education materials.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Experience writing and/or analyzing public policies.
• Experience conducting quantitative or qualitative research.
• Strong attention to detail and quality control. Demonstrated ability to design and execute meaningful, focused research.
• Strong written and verbal communications skills. Ability to write and organize engaging, clear and precise reports and articles. Verbal communications skills sufficient to convey information in a clear, concise way, synthesizing information as appropriate for the audience.
• Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice.
• Willingness and flexibility to work “campaign hours” when necessary.
• Experience working with government officials (elected, appointed, staff) on policy issues, with a preference for experience in the San Diego region.
• Experience with policy addressing affordable housing and tenants’ rights, public infrastructure, land use and planning, or related field.
• Experience in advocacy, organizing, or community or labor campaign research.
• Proven project management and organization skills, including using project/work plans effectively, managing a team to complete projects successfully, working independently, troubleshooting, prioritizing and meeting deadlines.
• Experience working with communities of color, immigrant communities, and/or people whose first or only language is other than English.
• Understanding of the critical role of the labor movement in achieving social and economic justice.
• Proven skills at working in a team and with partner organizations advocating for social, economic, racial, and environmental justice.
• Familiarity with the San Diego region.
The Center on Policy Initiatives is a research and action institute dedicated to creating economic prosperity, sustainable communities and a healthy environment for all. CPI serves a unique role in the San Diego region providing the…
SALARY AND BENEFITS: CPI’s salary and benefit standards are competitive and reflect our commitment to economic justice and equal pay for equal work. The salary range for this position is between $56,313 and $63,600 per year. We offer a full benefits package including employer-paid health, vision, and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan with employer contribution, and a generous paid time-off program including paid sick, vacation, and holidays.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: CPI’s salary and benefit standards are competitive and reflect our commitment to economic justice and equal pay for equal work. The salary range for this…
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Researcher/Policy Analyst – ‘(your First and Last name)’”. Required application materials consist of a cover letter detailing your qualifications for the position, a resume or CV, a brief writing sample on a policy relevant topic, and the names and contact information of three references. No phone calls please.
As part of our selection process, we require an in-person interview at our offices in San Diego. Travel assistance for in-person interviews is not available.
All positions are located at our offices in San Diego, unless otherwise noted. Given the high volume of applications we receive; it is not possible for us to contact all candidates. We are also unable to accept calls or direct e-mails regarding the status of applications.
The Center on Policy Initiatives respects, values and celebrates the unique attributes, characteristics and perspectives that make each person who they are. We believe our strength lies in the broad range of people and partners we work with and represent. Inclusion is a driver of our institutional excellence and we seek out the participation of women, people of color, persons with disabilities, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer employees, board members, and volunteers.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested candidates should submit their resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com, with the subject line “Researcher/Policy Analyst…