Common Impact has built the leading model for skills-based volunteering, connecting talented professionals from global companies to high-potential nonprofits. As corporate engagement and investment in social challenges deepens, Common Impact is expanding and evolving to meet the new demands of this exciting field. In 2018, Common Impact embarked on a four-year strategic plan to vastly increase the scope of its impact through targeted partnerships, the development of a comprehensive train-the-trainer platform, and the identification and execution of critical social sector projects where corporate talent can play a transformational role.
Common Impact seeks a Technology & Operations Manager to support with the daily operations of the organization, and apply a strategic technology and operational lens to facilitating cross-sector partnerships and bringing Common Impact’s operations to scale. Reporting to the COO, the Technology & Operations Manager will support and manage projects across multiple dimensions – strategy, operations, finance, talent, and technology – in order to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of work procedures and the systems that support them as well as help guide the organization towards the achievement of its strategic goals.
This position offers an exceptional opportunity for an early career professional with a mix of operations and technical skills to join Common Impact’s talented team, and to expand a proven model of social impact. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker with knowledge of a diverse range of technologies. S/he will have superior attention to detail and a proven track-record successfully managing a wide range of simultaneous projects; and will possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Ownership and management of key internal processes and technology systems. The Technology & Operations Manager will steward the evolution and maintenance of Common Impact’s key internal processes, which leverage a number of technology systems including Salesforce, Microsoft Office 365, Expression Engine and Word Press (website platforms) through direct support and the management of Common Impact’s technical support vendors.
While you won’t be responsible for all the work involved in these systems, you will be responsible for ensuring that these systems are up to date, making effective use of the full team’s time (program updates in Salesforce, capacity and work planning), and providing an overall assessment to the COO. You will also be responsible for maintaining day-to-day functioning of the organization’s technology equipment, training staff on how to use technology and systems, troubleshooting problems, and assisting in managing our relationship with our external IT vendors, as it relates to new hire on-boarding and staff off-boarding, system-wide problems, hardware/software purchasing, network management, and equipment deployment.
Supporting the growth of Common Impact’s services. In addition to overseeing the day to day use of our current systems, the Technology & Operations Manager will play a strong leadership role in evolving our current systems and creating new systems in order for us to more effectively manage our work. You will identify pain points in Common Impact’s operations and propose new processes and platforms that will support the streamlining of our operations, as well as the ability for Common Impact to scale its work. Common Impact has a physical office in Brooklyn, NY as well as remote staff spread across six cities, supporting clients in more than 25 states. As we continue to grow, you will work closely with our COO to build systems that facilitate this growth, and enable the increased automation of our operational processes to maximize the time and talents of our team.
Data management, reporting and analysis. The Technology & Operations Manager will centrally produce all key operational reports including but not limited to organizational dashboards which demonstrate Common Impact’s progress against programmatic and revenue goals, and help to standardize and analyze Common Impact’s feedback surveys. In addition to producing the reports, the Technology & Operations Manager will be responsible for analyzing the data and flagging concerns to executive and managerial staff.
The Technology & Operations Manager will also be responsible for creating audit reports and processes to ensure that organizational data is up-to-date and accurate and that operational tasks across the organization are being completed in a timely manner by all staff (i.e., invoices are being submitted to clients and nonprofits, etc.)
Human Resources and Compliance Support. The Technology & Operations Manager will be responsible for supporting the COO in her role of overseeing the organization’s Human Resources function. The Technology & Operations Manager will:
· Work with the COO to develop and implement staff policies and procedures;
· Manage the annual performance review process and quarterly individual goal review;
· Provide recruitment support by posting job openings, scheduling interviews, and following up post-interview;
· Support the on-boarding of new staff, including collection and upload of new hire documents and orientation to online system for timekeeping and benefits management;
· Support the off-boarding staff, including collecting all organization property and ensuring that systems access is removed in a timely fashion; and
· Support the organization in maintaining employee personnel files to ensure legal compliance, accuracy, and confidentiality.
In addition, the Technology & Operations Manager will help to ensure that renewal deadlines and annual reporting requirements are met for all government filings and insurance policies, while managing appropriate internal documentation and compliance records.
Administration and Facilities Oversight. The Technology & Operations Manager will provide administrative support to the COO such as scheduling and material creation for internal and external meetings, taking minutes at meetings, and responding to requests for information. In addition, this individual will support in the planning and management of two annual staff retreats.
The Manager will also assist the COO with financial administration, namely managing the organization’s accounts payable and accounts receivable functions, and managing office supply inventory, equipping staff with what they need to do their jobs.
The Technology & Operations Manager is a unique, exciting position that will allow you to use and develop a number of different skill-sets. We would like candidates to be or possess the following, and we may be able to flex the requirements for candidates that meet most but not all of the skills outlined below.
· Associate’s degree or higher
· At least 4-5 years of relevant office-based administrative or operational work experience (e.g. nonprofit operations, human resources, bookkeeping, or executive support)
· Strong IT expertise; experience working with Salesforce and Office 365 required
· A systems thinker, who has a passion for using technology to solve challenges, and can demonstrate an ability to look at disparate processes, understand the core functions needed to run those processes, and envision and evolve systems to support their effective use
· An ability to train non-technical users on technical systems, steward the roll out of new processes and encourage strong user adoption and accountability
· An excellent problem solver and critical thinker who can synthesize information, ask insightful questions, and spot trends quickly
· Flexible and successful in a work environment where competing priorities are the norm; comfortable with ambiguity
· A demonstrated capacity both to work independently and to collaborate within teams
· A strong customer service mindset with ability to forge and maintain trusting and productive working relationships with a wide-variety of internal and external partners.
· Superior attention to details while maintaining an understanding of how they support larger goals
· Experience using discretion and confidentiality when handling and communicating about sensitive or audience-limited topics, such as personnel matters and organizational finances
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Committed to working with diverse communities
· Enthusiastic for the mission of Common Impact
Common Impact is a nationally-recognized nonprofit that works to build a society in which individuals and businesses invest their unique talents towards a shared purpose: strengthening the local communities in which we live and work. We connect corporate employees to nonprofit organizations with proven models to tackle the greatest challenges our communities face.
We break down barriers that exist between sectors and industries to create meaningful partnerships between companies, social sector organizations and the people that drive them. The common purpose of these connections: to deliver real value to each partner through innovations in community engagement, and ultimately to address deeply rooted and complex social challenges.
With a deep understanding of both mission-focused and business goals, Common Impact enables growing nonprofits to achieve even greater results in our communities, while simultaneously engaging corporate employees in dynamic and challenging opportunities that develop their skills and unlock successful, purpose-driven careers.
Founded in 2000, Common Impact has partners with Fortune 500 companies and the country’s leading nonprofit organizations to create this transformational change. Learn more about our services, our impact, the companies we work with, and our nonprofit partners.
Common Impact has built the leading model for skills-based volunteering, connecting talented professionals from global companies to high-potential nonprofits. As corporate engagement and investment in social…
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Technology & Operations Manager – Last Name, First Name” in the subject line (for example, IT Consultant – Doe, Jane).
Your cover letter should address the following questions (this is no time to be modest!):
1. Please describe your background in information technology, particularly your experience analyzing business needs and translating them into technology solutions.
2. Please describe one experience that you have had introducing a new policy or idea that departed from the customary way of doing things, the approach you took to gain cooperation, how this experience was challenging for you, and what you learned about interacting with others as a result.
3. What are the skills that you hope to develop in this position?
Please submit your resume and cover letter, with salary requirements, by February 5, 2020 to receive full and immediate consideration for this position. (We will continue to accept applications after this date, but these applications may not receive full consideration.)
Common Impact is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a diverse community and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, national origin, color, religion, gender, age, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Please note that being legally authorized to work in the U.S. on a full-time basis is a precondition of employment.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with “Technology & Operations Manager – Last Name, First Name” in the subject line…