Location: Atlantic Region
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) is expanding the definition of student achievement in diverse communities across the country. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
Originating over 20 years ago through the collaboration of the Harvard Graduate School of Education and Outward Bound, EL Education’s research-based approach inspires teachers and challenges students, transforming education in thousands of schools and districts across the country through a unique combination of rigor and joy in learning. Our impressive results encompass high academic achievement and college readiness as well as pride in the mastery of complex, authentic work, and the passion and capacity to contribute to a better world.
As a mission-driven nonprofit organization, we work with all kinds of schools: district, charter, elementary and secondary, serving populations that reflect the diversity of our country. We create powerful resources--including an open source literacy curriculum that has already been downloaded by teachers over six million times--and share an award-winning portfolio of educator-developed professional development and instructional resources with our 150+ school partners in 39 states, serving over 50,000 students. For more information, visit www.ELeducation.org.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Reporting to a Partnership Director, the Associate Partnership Director supports a partnership team and a portfolio of partnerships through strategic and tactical oversight of a subset of partners and team members. The Associate Partnership Director manages a few members of a partnership team to direct a subset of school and district partnerships towards impact aligned to EL Education’s organizational goals. The role revolves around directing team members to deepen EL Education’s impact and reach through partnership development, quality oversight and portfolio management. The Associate Director manages a small portfolio of strategic partnerships including key school and district relationships (new school start-up, school transformation, district- and school-level curriculum implementation partnerships). Additionally, the Associate Director collaborates with the Partnership Director to allocate and leverage organizational resources to reach school and district performance goals while developing a team of EL Education coaches in the partnership to drive exceptional results for EL Education partners.
- 50% on average (examples of travel may include: in-person meetings with potential school/district partners, internal team/partnership director meetings, coaching of regional members, internal organizational leadership meetings, customer/partner events, select educational conferences to promote awareness of EL Education, annual EL Education National Conference and EL Education annual staff gathering).
- A majority of travel for this position would be to sites within the portfolio area of the Atlantic Region (Washington DC, GA, SC, MD, DE, NJ and PA)
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but are not limited to):
Leading for Equity and Impact
- Boldly invite and lead discussions about antiracism, diversity, equity and inclusion that lead to disruption of historical patterns of educational inequity
- Collaborate with the Partnership Director to manage a portfolio of 6-10 school partnerships and/or 1-2 district-level partnerships to ensure consistency of impact and quality of services through the ongoing use of evidence and feedback for EL Education partnership team members.
- Ensure partners generate and follow-through on annual school improvement cycles including strategic plan development, midyear review and end-of-year review and strategic planning
- Co-lead with Partnership Director to ensure high-quality, impactful instructional leadership, professional development and coaching services are provided to each partner by EL Education staff -- including co-planning and co-facilitation of regional leadership event
- Collaborate with Partnership Director to manage financial and human resources including staff time to meet or exceed portfolio goals
- Meet ambitious goals for impact on regional partnerships through active monitoring through portfolio management data and analysis system and EL Education’s Dimensions data
Portfolio Management - in a strategic subset of a partnership portfolio of partnerships
- In collaboration with a Partnership Director, onboard new partnerships in alignment with portfolio and national strategy
- Advise on success conditions in EL Education’s partnership review including new school start-ups, school transformation and collaboration in district-wide curriculum implementation partnerships
- Actively monitor progress of partners through frequent site visits, partnership collaboration, and participation in key mid-year and end-of-year reviews, and dialogue and data review with coaches regarding impact and success conditions
- Intervene as needed to address barriers to impact, implementation and positive success conditions
- Support and coach a few members of a diverse team of partnership staff who report directly to the team’s director
- Develop and Support on-boarding plans for new coaches in partnership with organizational learning and development team
- Develop a strong sense of team with common mission across a set of coaches
- Collaborate with Partnership Director to assign partnership team members aligned to partner needs and coach strengths
- Provide differentiated coaching to a subset of staff and ensure these coaches are developing new skills to effectively serve partners
- Actively coach a subset of team members’ performance through active engagement in the partnership, frequent feedback opportunities and formally through the annual goal setting and evaluation cycle
Direct Service to Partners
- Provide strategic planning, professional development and instructional and/or leadership coaching to a set of school and district partners ~ 40 days of direct service
- Plan collaboratively across a team of coaches, drawing on team member expertise to match the barriers to impact and unique needs of school and district partners
- Ensure up-to-date records and data for regional partners in all EL Education systems including Salesforce and data management platforms and actively utilize evidence from these systems to manage toward goals
- Serve as liaison between EL Education’s business planning team
- Personal Leadership Development - Engage with EL Education leadership team and partnership director in a set of leadership development activities, coaching experiences, and performance reflections
- Other responsibilities as assigned
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience in K-12 education leading instructional initiatives
- 3+ years of experience of instructional or leadership coaching of education professionals
- Demonstrated outcomes in three dimensions of student achievement
- Demonstrated experience in designing and delivering professional development for teachers and leaders
- Demonstrated effectiveness in leading critical projects and building capacity of others
- Experience working toward implementation of EL Education’s school model and/or curriculum implementation preferred
Skills and Competencies
- A commitment to equity through promoting diversity and inclusive practices
- Zeal for and knowledge of EL Education's mission and vision of student achievement
- An eye for quality in implementation of whole school transformation models and/or high-quality curriculum implementation for impact
- High levels of emotional intelligence including ability to lead through influence and fostering engagement around a collective vision
- Ability to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds, particularly in larger urban settings
- A drive to think strategically to solve challenging educational issues
- Entrepreneurial approach to support lasting impact
- Exceptional abilities to build relationships and garner trust
- Exceptional organizational skills, with an ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously
- Eagerness to seek out and learn from feedback; devotion to continuous self-improvement
- A growth mindset for the students, teachers and classrooms they serve – and most of all for himself, herself or themselves
- Master’s degree in education, educational leadership or related partnership strongly preferred
Location and Travel
- Location near a major HUB in the Atlantic Region (such as Atlanta, Washington DC, Charlotte)
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 50%
- This role would serve up to 40 days of direct service with EL Education partners.
This is an internal and external position.
We strongly encourage diverse candidates to apply.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a wide variety of benefits, including paid-time-off, 403b match, maternity/paternity leave, medical/dental/vision insurance, etc.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply online at www.ELeducation.org in the Careers section. No phone calls or emails please. Thank you.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all diverse backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor