Details: 13.25 - 16.00 per hour, depends on experience
17081 Devonshire St.
Job Opening: Custodian
Reports To: Dean of Operations; Principal
Status: Non-Exempt, Full-time
Bright Star Schools is a non-profit charter management organization that currently operates seven high-performing charter schools in the Los Angeles neighborhoods of West Adams, Koreatown, Westchester, Panorama City, and North Hills. This position will be based out of Valor Academy Elementary School in North Hills.
Under the direction of the Principal this position is responsible for performing School Facility maintenance duties.
- Cleans (sweeps, mops, vacuums, dusts) assigned school facilities (e.g., classrooms, offices, gyms, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, pool, grounds, hallways, stairways, common areas, public areas, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe, attractive environment.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, strips, extract, waxes, buff, vacuums, etc. all types of floors.
- Removes and properly disposes of discarded materials.
- Removes and transports trash to the appropriate disposal areas.
- Compacts trash.
- Change light bulbs and perform light facility maintenance.
- Keep building entryways free of obstacles, dirt, and debris.
- Arranges furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparation for meetings, classroom activities, and events
- Helps respond to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (e.g., facility damage, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action to resolve immediate safety issues and maintaining a functioning physical and educational environment.
- Inspects school facilities for the purpose of ensuring site is suitable for safe operations and maintained in an attractive and clean condition, and identifying any repairs that may be necessary due to vandalism, equipment breakage, weather conditions, etc
- Attends in-service training (e.g., instruction on blood-borne pathogens, cleaning solvents, floor care, first aid, etc.) for the purpose of receiving information on new and/or improved procedures.
- Operate a vehicle to work at remote locations.
- Other related duties may also be assigned.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with a team
- Well organized, reliable and responsible.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong client/customer service skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Basic knowledge of cleaning products and/or willing to learn.
- Prior experience in housekeeping preferred
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Able to be flexible and work day and evening shifts as required. The majority of the work is performed in a remote setting with a wide variety of people in differing functions, personalities and abilities.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The work requires routine walking, standing, bending and carrying
items weighing up to 50 pounds. Lack of immediate access to critical medical services as well as
urban community services. Requires working in remote confined space workspaces
for extended periods of time. [Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions].
Minimum Education Required