3307 3rd Ave W
About Seattle Pacific University:
Founded in 1891, Seattle Pacific University has a long and distinguished history in Christian higher education. Located just minutes from downtown Seattle, SPU seeks to be a premier Christian University fully committed to engaging the culture and changing the world by graduating people of competence and character, becoming people of wisdom, and modeling grace-filled community. Seattle Pacific University seeks applicants committed to its Christian mission.
This position is focused on the overall design for SPU's Web presence, including UI and UX. Your main role is to help make our digital tools useful, usable and delightful for SPU's core audiences. This involves working across web content management systems, social media, email, marketing automation systems, and customer relationship management platforms.
Overarching responsibilities include maintaining SPU's online content, new content creation, and standardization and continuous improvement of our digital content. Proactively research, recommend, and implement enhancements to eliminate pain points or meet new design trends. Pursue and advocate for accessibility, responsive and user-centric design, excellence, innovation, and brand consistency. Together with internal client liaisons (Communications Specialist), seek to understand and address digital design needs.
Work is done in a fast-paced, creative, respectful, open office committed to excellent client service.
In your web design role, you possess a strong commitment to understanding dynamics of difference; building relationships with students and faculty/staff of ethnically diverse backgrounds; developing culturally responsive digital tools designed to improve the quality of UI/UX of relevant core audiences.
Digital Content Design and Production
- Create and update web content through web content management systems (CMS).
- Propose enhancements and identify bugs in the CMS with the development team.
- Evaluate all digital content properties to ensure brand consistency, design/messaging match, optimal functionality, and responsiveness for all devices.
- Implement the overall look and feel for the SPU website, follow guidelines and templates to ensure appropriate levels of visual branding consistency across the remaining areas of the site.
- Create and maintain email templates for use in Mailchimp and the customer relationship management system (CRM).
User Experience/User Interface
- Establish and demonstrate user-centric, clean, intuitive, UX design around functionality and usability.
- Design prototypes to test ideas and identify shortcomings.
- Together with Communications Specialists, outline page and SEO objectives, interactive strategy, and key metrics for determining success. Design pages to meet objectives. Innovate, building new components to increase engagement. Evaluate design effectiveness and revise design as necessary. Conduct A/B testing.
- Research and propose design and technical solutions. Suggest new components, compelling calls to action, and copy changes as needed.
- Help implement the overall look/voice for spu.edu and related digital content platforms.
- Together with Communications Specialists, meet with internal clients to understand department/school goals.
- Assist clients in synthesizing web communication objectives, project requirements, and cooperatively developing strategies to address them.
- Collaborate with designers and writers to ensure continuity of design/content across all digital and print marketing campaign elements. Propose and share creative ideas.
- Bachelor's degree in visual communication, multimedia, applied arts, communications, or related field.
- At least 1 year experience in user interface, user experience, or web design/development, designing and developing multiple sites of varying complexity.
- Understanding of SEO considerations in web design, branding, graphic design, information design, interface design, information architecture, and website usability.
- Experience with content management systems. Sitecore and WordPress experience preferred.
- Proficiency with computer graphics tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Proficiency using Adobe Creative Cloud, RAW images, and photo management required.
- Proficiency with social media, video, blogs, wikis, photo management sites, etc.
- Solid understanding of basic web development principles, concepts, vocabulary.
- Knowledge of responsive design and accessibility.
- Knowledge and experience in user interface design processes and methodology, as well as usability testing and research processes.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously, in an ever-changing environment.
- Commitment to constant learning and "there's always better."
- Excellent client-relationship skills, an affinity for accuracy and detail, and a commitment to SPU's vision and the ability to articulate it.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills including the ability to communicate complex, interactive UI/UX concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- A love for collaboration and learning new technologies.
- Passionate self-starter who can be visionary, detail-oriented and an enthusiastic team player.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams: developers/programmers, web designers, writers, copyeditors, project managers, managers, etc.
- Knowledge of video production
- Experience in higher education environment
- Experience with Grunt, Sass, and Git.
- Experience with digital asset management systems a plus.
- Proficiency in developing websites from wireframe and/or prototypes to site architecture mapping to comps to functioning site.
Software/Programs utilized in position:
- MacOS or Windows 10.
- Adobe Creative Cloud, FTP.
- Standard browsers on PC and Mac.
- Content management system --- CMS (Sitecore, WordPress).
- Email tools (Outlook and MailChimp).
- Project management tools (Clarizen).
Position will remain open until filled.
Salary range: $53,461 to $66,826 DOE
This is a full time position with excellent benefits. SPU pays the employee premium for medical, dental, and vision insurance. SPU makes contributions to an employee HSA account and to a retirement account after one year of plan eligibility Tuition discount program available for employee and qualified immediate family members
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with an online application.
Minimum Education Required