9500 SW Barbur Blvd
The YMCA of Columbia-Willamette located in Portland, Oregon is currently accepting applications for the position of Vice President/Chief Financial Officer. At the YMCA we commit to building and supporting communities by putting the Christian principles of love, respect, honesty, responsibility and service into practice through programs that build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all. The YMCA offers a unique and diverse culture that requires an individual who is a progressive thinker with passion for our mission.
Job Responsibilities: Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) the Vice President/CFO oversees and manages financial matters, investments and information systems. Provides direction and leadership for YMCA business operations and strategic initiatives. Assists with development of policies and ensures their implementation and directly assists the Chief Operating Officer (COO) on all strategic and tactical matters as they relate to budget management, cost benefit analysis, forecasting needs and the securing of new funding.
• Monitor financial operations, prepare analysis and reports, and provide guidance to executive and operating staff. Work closely with operations staff on issues that affect financial outcome. Prepare specific recommendations.
• Manage the staff and oversee the operations of the accounting/finance, information systems, risk management and departments as assigned.
• Work directly with assigned committee(s) of the Board of Directors (Finance, Insurance, Investment, Audit, for example) to build volunteer relationships, develop policies, monitor their implementation and meet the related needs of the board.
• Create and establish financial objectives that align with the association's plan for growth and expansion.
• Identify, acquire and implement systems, including software, to provide critical financial and operational efficiencies and information.
• Review, update, and/or develop internal control systems for the YMCA and oversee internal
audits which check for compliance on a variety of policies and standards. Provide recommendations for improvement.
• Oversee and certify association's annual audit. Ensure that current accounting standards and legal requirements are met.
• Manage investments, under the direction of the Investment Committee, and within the risk tolerance expressed by the Board via the asset allocation policy.
• Develop performance indicators and measurement systems for tracking strategic plan objectives. Evaluate current business models and leads efforts to modify or redesign business models where necessary.
• Oversee preparation of reports to external agencies. Oversee preparation of tax returns.
• Oversee the development of the annual operating budget, including all branch budgets. Work closely with operations staff to ensure that branch budgets are well-planned, realistic, and prepared in a timely manner.
• Manage tax-exempt bond transactions and file all necessary reports. Establish, maintain and/or monitor all banking and financing relationships.
• Maintain all necessary records and accounting reports and records all transactions on a timely basis.
• Oversee all aspects of risk management and loss prevention.
• Maintain good working relationships with auditors, bankers, investment counselors, attorneys and other professional advisors.
• Represent the YMCA with key community organizations and events as required.
• Believe strongly in and incorporate Christian principles into daily life and work and encourage and support others to do so.
• Bachelor's degree in business, finance or equivalent.
• Ten or more years of experience in accounting and financial management.
• Knowledge and understanding of general business matters required including budget development, financial reporting, cash management, business taxes, banking and debt
• Knowledge of computer systems, including experience with system selection, new system implementation and project management. Personal computer skills required.
• Experience in effectively managing a staff team.
• Must have commitment to the mission and cause of the YMCA and uphold its values and ethics.
• Must pass YMCA background check
• MBA, CPA or CMA preferred.
• Previous experience with voluntary/nonprofit organizations preferred.
• Experience with investment management and asset allocation preferred.
• Mission Advancement: Incorporate the Y's mission and values into the organization's vision and strategies and promotes the global nature of the Y. Promote a culture of volunteerism ensuring engagement, inclusion, and ownership. Lead a culture of philanthropy.
• Collaboration: Advocate for and institutionalize inclusion and diversity throughout the organization. Participate in the development of relationships with influential leaders to impact and strengthen the community. Is recognized as an inspirational community leader. Communicate to engage and inspire people within and outside the YMCA.
• Operational Effectiveness: Possess insight and strong strategic and critical thinking skills that cultivates a structure to deliver organization-wide results to achieve objectives. Determine benchmarks and ensures appropriate leadership to meet objectives.
• Personal Growth: Effectively drive change by leveraging resources and creating alignment to expand organizational opportunities. Share authority and demonstrate courage and humility. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; use best practices and demonstrate up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
• Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and manage well at all levels of the organization and with staff at remote locations.
• Strong problem solving and creative skills and ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
• High level of integrity and dependability with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
• Strong critical thinking skills, ability to handle stressful situations, capacity to function independently.
• Ability to relate well to people from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds and supervise various positions
• Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of information technology and ability to organize, analyze and synthesize complex data from various sources.
• Able to read and interpret financial statements, develop and nurture vendor relationships for purchasing optimization.
• Able to develop process improvement strategies in accordance with organization objectives.
• Willingness to work flexible hours in order to meet the organization's needs/demands.
Visit ymcacw.org to discover more about how the YMCA of Columbia-Willamette continuously serves our community. Apply via online Career Center at ymcacw.org/job-opportunities for a detailed description and application or if you have questions contact Katie Christianson, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to serving the community, the YMCA offers a comprehensive benefits package:
Free YMCA Family Membership
Paid Time Off
Medical, Dental, and Vision
Flexible Spending Program
College Tuition Reimbursement
Employee Referral Awards
Career Training and Development
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please visit our Career Center to apply. We look forward to hearing from you.