80 Hanson Place
Job Title: Associate Director, Human Resources
Department: Human Resources
Division: Finance & Administration
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: Managing Director, Human Resources
Status: Full-Time, Regular
StoryCorps is the acclaimed national nonprofit that preserves and shares humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. Founded in 2003 by MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps is the largest single collection of human voices ever gathered. To date, we have recorded and archived more than 200,000 interviews with more than 400,000 participants across the country through our interview programs. StoryCorps shares audio and animated excerpts of interviews with the world through popular weekly NPR broadcasts, social media and other digital platforms, educational curricula, and best-selling books. These powerful stories illustrate our shared humanity and show how much more we share in common than divides us.
The Associate Director, Human Resources will perform generalist Human Resources activities, with a focus on overseeing HR operations: onboarding and offboarding, payroll, benefits administration, and compliance.
The successful individual must be a hands-on HR generalist comfortable rolling up their sleeves and “getting it done.” StoryCorps is a fast-paced, dynamic work environment, and the Associate Director must be flexible, adaptable, and above all, a team player. At the same time, the Associate Director must also be able to think strategically and analytically, making data-informed decisions and recommendations. The ideal candidate is an organized, systems-oriented individual who embraces technology, automation, and employee self-service in order to increase productivity and efficiency in HR. A high level of professionalism and emotional maturity is required, and strong communication skills (written and verbal) and impeccable attention to detail are a must.
The Associate Director supervises a full-time HR Associate who is responsible for supporting all HR operations activities, with a focus on onboarding, offboarding, and HRIS/payroll administration. While the majority of the HR Associate’s time will be spent in support of the functions overseen by the Associate Director, the Associate provides support to the entire HR department, and may be tasked with supporting recruitment, training, and organizational culture activities as well.
The Associate Director reports to the Managing Director, HR, and will work closely with the Managing Director on benefits plan design and annual renewal activities, pay and title planning, labor and employment relations, and other strategic HR activities. This is a great opportunity for an experienced HR administrator who is looking to gain management experience and mentorship to a senior leadership role.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of voices; some of our programs include our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, our Historias Initiative to record the life experiences of Latinos, and our OutLoud Initiative, focused on the voices of the LGBTQ community. We also seek to recruit and develop a staff whose diversity matches the diversity of the communities we serve, and we strongly encourage applications from people of color and the LGBTQ community. Cultural competence/humility and the ability to thrive in a diverse work environment is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Onboarding & Offboarding:
- Drafts and/or reviews employment letters and exit letters
- Leads HR orientation sessions for new staff
- Communicates with supervisors and staff regarding onboarding and exit activities
- Oversees regular onboarding & offboarding report that is shared with IT and administration departments, and ensures completion of required activities
- Conducts exit interviews
- Reviews independent contractor request forms to determine if individual is an employee or contractor; communicates with IT, contracts, and admin departments regarding contractor onboarding
Benefits & Payroll/HRIS Management:
- Administers employee benefits, including processing new enrollments, terminations, COBRA, disability and worker’s compensation claims, and family and medical leave requests
- Manages benefits communications, leads benefits information sessions, and resolves various ad-hoc questions and issues
- Oversees annual Open Enrollment activities
- Supports benefits planning and annual renewal activities – working closely with the Managing Director, HR to manage costs and evaluate potential changes to benefit offerings or vendors
- Handles requests for workspace and schedule accommodations
- Completes and files annual reports and tests to fulfill federal and benefit plan requirements
- Manages biweekly payroll processing, auditing and approving all payroll/HRIS updates (including new hires, salary changes, etc.)
- Develops expertise in Payroll/HRIS entry and reporting; leads HRIS trainings for new hires and performs HRIS/payroll entry during high-volume periods and/or when the Associate is out
- Supervises and directs the work of the full-time HR Specialist, who supports all HR operations/administration activities and coordinates the StoryCorps internship program
- Develops and documents standardized, best practice HR policies and procedures
- Participates in interdepartmental project teams and work groups, as assigned
- Provides support for organizational culture initiatives and staff events and trainings
- Prepares and analyzes HR metrics and provides reports that support decision-making in specified areas
- Complete other duties to support the Human Resources department and StoryCorps staff, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least 5 years of HR experience, including benefits administration experience
- Expert knowledge of federal employment laws and benefits regulations (e.g. FLSA, FMLA, ADA, COBRA)
- Strong computer skills and advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel); passionate about using technology to improve efficiency
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Highly proactive style of work and demonstrated ability to function exceptionally and meet deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment; ability to multitask while prioritizing important issues
- Strong critical thinking skills; ability to analyze complex information and develop data-informed recommendations
- Sound professional ethics and sensitivity to the confidential nature of Human Resources information
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to a growing, changing organizational environment; must be a team player and a self-starter
- Cultural competence/humility and the ability to thrive in a diverse work environment
- HR certification and/or advanced degree in a related field
- Experience with multi-state payroll and benefits administration
- Familiarity with NY and CA employment laws (e.g., Paid Family Leave)
- At least 1 year of experience providing staff supervision and evaluation
- Experience in labor relations and administration of collective bargaining agreements
- Proficiency with Google mail, calendar, and drive (documents, spreadsheets)
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Associate Director, HR.” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.