Details: Generous benefits
Position Title: Staff Attorney
Reports To: Director of Programming
Start Date: ASAP
Our progressive social service agency seeks a qualified Staff Attorney for our new Civil Legal Services Program. The Attorney will provide high-quality trauma informed legal representation for victims of domestic and sexual violence, including legal advice and counseling on civil matters including, but not limited to, family and matrimonial law, immigration and Title IX proceedings. The person in this position will work as part of a team to ensure that victims receive appropriate legal services and consult with agency staff on civil legal matters. This position and program are new to the agency with the goal of increasing access to quality, trauma informed civil representation for victims of abuse in Tompkins County.
The Advocacy Center of Tompkins County www.theadvocacycenter.org, located in Ithaca, NY, is an organization whose roots are based in feminism, social change, and victim rights. We have provided services for survivors of domestic violence since 1977, child sexual abuse since 1982 and adult sexual assault since 2003.
Our workplace is unusual in its culture. While we are all dedicated professionals with a strong work ethic, we also promote flexibility in scheduling wherever possible because we genuinely value healthy work/life balance. We combine seriousness of purpose and commitment to our mission with a sense of kindness and humor toward one another.
The duties of this position include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Provide high-quality trauma informed legal representation to victims of domestic and sexual violence in Family Court matters, matrimonial proceedings, financial/credit issues, immigration and Title IX proceedings. .
- Provide consultations to victims of domestic and sexual violence on civil legal matters as necessary.
- Provide consultations to staff advocates on civil legal matters as necessary.
- Work as part of a team to ensure that victims receive appropriate legal services.
- Make referrals to advocacy services and community resources as appropriate.
- Participate in team problem solving with client services staff to ensure the smooth and effective functioning of programs.
- Act as liaison for the Crime Victims Legal Network through Office of Victim Services.
- Maintain and update knowledge of developments in the legal field related to domestic and sexual violence. Identify other legal needs for future program development.
- A J.D. from an accredited law school with admission to the New York State Bar in good standing.
- Commitment to providing high quality legal services to clients in a variety of civil matters.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant civil legal experience
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a flexible, evolving environment, with a willingness to appreciate different points of view and problem solve in a constructive manner.
- Strong interpersonal, engagement, listening and communication skills and crisis management skills.
- Excellent organization, time management skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to develop a positive compassionate rapport with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault
- Sensitivity to the impact of sexual and domestic violence in diverse and marginalized communities and the ability to articulate these concerns in a sensitive and respectful manner
- Ability to establish and maintain effective professional working relationships
- Experience representing victims of domestic violence or disenfranchised populations strongly preferred.
- Bilingual and/or bicultural candidates strongly encouraged to apply
Excellent Benefits Package Includes:
Generous financial contribution towards our cafeteria health benefits program (includes medical and dental insurance or expense reimbursements); generous time off (2 weeks vacation the first year increasing thereafter, 10-12 paid holidays, 5 personal days, sick days); and retirement contribution after 3 years of employment.
Minimum Education Required