1617 John F. Kennedy Blvd.
Founded in 2003, the Welcoming Center for New Pennsylvanians seeks to open doors of economic opportunity for work authorized immigrants. By doing so, we enhance the economic development of the city and the state. Our organization believes that immigrants strengthen the productivity, profitability and stability of this region and contribute to Pennsylvania’s and the nation’s economic growth.
The Small Business Advisor is a member of the team that comprises the business development function within the Welcoming Center. This is a full-time position. This position reports to the Director of Business Development. The Small Business Advisor performs a variety of financial and business management functions which include advising businesses, providing technical assistance and training to developing and existing businesses. The position also provides support to entrepreneurs in accessing a variety of resources available in Philadelphia and beyond. This position also manages communication, outreach and client recruitment and coordinates partnerships with Welcoming Center stakeholders.
- Provides direct technical assistance to business clients to assist in the development of business plans, marketing plans, loan proposals and related business development tasks
- Participates in the development, promotion, coordination, and delivery of business management training programs and workshops
- Establishes and manages relationships with program participants, community leaders, neighborhood residents, and members of the business community
- Manages interns and volunteers for work on projects as needed
- Builds client base and recruits program participants using different outreach strategies as determined by the tasks
- Prepares program performance reports for both internal and external stakeholders including grantors and contractors
- Willing and available to work weekends and evenings as needed and willing to compensatory time as compensation
Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated experience working with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to gather data, compile information and use the data to prepare and present reports
- Ability to think logically and to analyze problems and develop solutions
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment both internal and external to the Welcoming Center
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite
- Ability to create reports and presentations using Microsoft and other software programs and systems as needed
- Ability to use and or learn data gathering systems and to produce reports from such systems
- Second language is required; preferably, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Arabic or Vietnamese
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, management, finance, accounting, sales or related subject
- Prior business ownership or business development experience
- Familiarity with business start-up processes including licensing and other city and state requirements
- Experience developing business strategies including, but not limited to, marketing, financial reporting, and import/export
- Familiarity with various means of business financing
- Knowledge of Philadelphia’s entrepreneurial ecosystem, including nonprofit and city systems
- High level of computer literacy, especially with the Microsoft Office products
Healthcare and 401(k).
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in another language is highly preferred (priority given to Spanish, Mandarin, Korean, Arabic or Vietnamese).
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with the subject “Administrative Support Specialist.” We welcome applicants of all backgrounds and identities, including those of any age, race, religion, gender, ability, or sexual orientation. No calls please. All applications should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.