Reading Partners is changing the education landscape. We are a leader in working to solve the literacy crisis in our country by leveraging community volunteers in under-resourced schools. Our diverse and expansive volunteer base provides one-on-one tutoring to students twice weekly, and our program is proven to help children master the reading fundamentals they need to unlock their potential as successful, happy and confident readers in school and in life. Our people are our heartbeat and our greatest resource; we are all passionately rallied around our mission to help children become lifelong learners by empowering communities to provide individualized instruction that works. Join our stellar team leading the charge to deepen our impact and expand our service. Learn more about us at www.readingpartners.org .
The High Level:
We are currently seeking responsible, high-caliber, patient, and motivated tutors to join our growing team. Tutors are essential to carrying out our mission, which is to assist elementary school students in literacy development and inspiring children to be life-long readers. Tutors engage in Reading Partners curriculum with selected students in one-on-one tutoring sessions held at our on-site Reading Centers. Tutors collaborate with the Reading Partners School Site Coordinator at our partner schools to assess the student’s needs and how best to address them. The children that tutors work with are performing below their expected academic grade level and enjoy the benefits of working with a tutor to improve their overall reading skills.
What you’ll do:
- Commit to work for the current academic year. Consistent, ongoing support is necessary for the children and teachers with whom we work.
- Utilize the Reading Partners’ curriculum to tutor/mentor students.
- Review student progress notes and prior assessment notes prior to each tutoring session, then complete progress notes after each tutoring session.
- Be punctual, attentive, and engaged in tutoring sessions. Unexcused and excessive absences or unsatisfactory performances are unacceptable and are grounds for discipline up to and including dismissal.
- Assist in running the tutoring center, including substitute tutoring, assisting in preparing and coordinating tutoring materials for volunteers.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Be willing to travel to schools in San Jose, Sunnyvale, Milpitas or Redwood City
- Be willing to work between 15 and 18 hours per week.
How you’ll do it:
Relationship Development & Communication:
- Cultivate strong internal relationships with peers, direct reports, and managers. Possess a strong aptitude for effective communication, remotely and in person, with direct reports, school stakeholders, and other Reading Partners staff. Demonstrate an ability to work collaboratively as an ambassador of Reading Partners externally, specifically with school leaders and staff. Be able to set up strong systems for communication and messaging, tailor communication to audiences, and contextualize messaging. Demonstrate an ability to break down complex topics for a variety of audiences. Employ excellent written communication skills.
- Ensure high fidelity of the Reading Partners model. Possess a high level of knowledge and competency in literacy strategies and behavior management. Demonstrate an ability to assess student performance using observations, to analyze data, and to create subsequent strategies aimed at increasing student achievement. Analyze data and create action plans to improve student results.
- Demonstrate an ability to effectively manage time, balance multiple competing priorities at once, and, above all, and remain adaptable, flexible, and positive while navigating challenges. Anticipate challenges and/or questions, and proactively act to address them. Understand larger strategic priorities and make measurable progress against these larger goals. Show an ability to make quick, sound, and on-the-fly decisions that consider all stakeholders. See the bigger picture and be able to drill down to smaller details and connect the dots.
You’ll be successful in this role if you:
- Hold a high school degree or GED (Bachelor’s degree preferred)
- Have a willingness to learn about tutoring strategies
- Demonstrate patience when working with students who need help learning
- Have access to reliable transportation
- Are able to work independently or with limited supervision
- Can commit to a schedule and be punctual which is essential to the position
- Interact effectively with diverse groups of people
- Demonstrate the ability to be an effective and professional role model for students served
- Boast a deep belief in our mission
- Root your work in our core values
- Are eligible to work in the United States.
Bonus Points if you:
- Are an AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, or other national service alum/alumna
- Have experience working in launch or growth phases of organizations
- Are bilingual. (Spanish speaking preferred)
Reading Partners offers the full package – a great place to work and the opportunity to have a glowing and growing career.
- We offer compensation of $15/hour. This is a part-time, non-exempt, hourly position.
- We offer an exciting and dynamic culture, and we commit to investing in and supporting our amazing people to grow their careers with us. As such, we provide ongoing professional development opportunities.
The other things you need to know:
Travel : This position may travel throughout Silicon Valley.
Typical Physical & Mental Demands: Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching, and eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers and staff. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
If you’re interested in joining our Reading Partners team, please submit the following application materials to our online job posting:
- A cover letter describing your interest in Reading Partners and how your past experience has prepared you for this role.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries, please.