1999 Harrison Street
The GreatSchools Software Engineering team is looking for a talented engineer to join us in our mission to help all kids get a great education. The engineer in this role will collaborate with our team to build features for our user-facing products and internal tools. This is a full-time position working in our Oakland office.
Join the GreatSchools Team
Writing software at GreatSchools is fulfilling because of the positive impact we’re making on education in America. Our data and proprietary ratings are relied on by businesses, communities, and over 40 million parents each year.
Here’s what will make you a great fit:
- You love that over 40 million people each year will use what you make to navigate the difficult landscape of school choice.
- You enjoy working on small teams where everyone is equally empowered and encouraged to provide input and make decisions.
- You want to work with other passionate and talented people who love using technology to solve challenging problems.
- You are proud to be responsible for a website that analyzes, organizes, and builds visualizations of school data from a 100GB+ database, so that parents can quickly find what they’re looking for, all in less than four seconds.
Culture & Benefits
We value inclusiveness, diversity, honest communication and out-of-the-box ideas, and need a lot of creative people with varying backgrounds in order to solve the problems we're focused on! And most importantly, we value your health, family, and life outside of the office, so we encourage a good work-life balance and have a work-from-home policy.
- Medical benefits
- Learning stipend
- Culture club
- Volunteering hours
- Work from home one day per week
- 3 years of team-based experience building full-stack web applications
- Enjoy collaboration with other teams within the organization
- Great at advocating for good software and design practices, and weighing trade-offs
- Strong desire to learn and grow. Like to both receive and provide constructive feedback
- In-depth knowledge of Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and test-driven development
- Experience implementing responsive web designs that work equally well on desktops, tablets, and phones
- Spanish fluency is a plus -- our website is fully translated to Spanish
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter, including salary requirements, along with your résumé here. Your cover letter should include reasons why you want to work at GreatSchools. Resumes without cover letters will not be considered. No phone calls please.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage diversity in our workplace.
About Our Engineering Team
We are a small team of full-stack engineers who regularly collaborate with our Product, Data, and Content teams to plan, build, and test features in two-week release cycles. A large amount of the work is also driven by the Engineering team, so you will have the opportunity to learn new technologies and bring your ideas to life. To ensure clean code, we collaborate on code reviews, write tests with RSpec and Jasmine, CI builds with Jenkins, and a little pair programming. Finally, we make sure to bring fun into the mix. We regularly enjoy various team activities such as board games, ping-pong, Mario Kart, or just eating lunch together. We'd love to have you as part of our team!
Our interview process includes a phone interview and multiple on-site interviews. First, the phone interview will give us a chance to get to know you, what you're looking for, and give you the chance to ask questions about our Software Engineer role. On-site interviews consist of a technical interview with our Engineering team members, where you'll be asked to describe how your knowledge and past experiences relate to this role, and demonstrate proficiency with the frameworks we use. The technical interview will also involve writing small samples of code, looking at code together, and possible whiteboarding. Finally, there may be additional short meetings with other GreatSchools members that aren't technically-focused. We strive to have a pleasant, low-stress interview experience where we can not only assess your technical ability, but also get to know the real you.
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency preferred.
Minimum Education Required