Douglas Park Fieldhouse
1401 S. Sacramento Dr.
About Girls in the Game
At Girls in the Game every girl finds her voice, discovers her strength and leads with confidence through fun and active leadership, sports and health programs. Our programs empower all girls to be gamechangers in their own lives and in their communities. We strive to serve girls year-round and over the long-term and offer a continuum of programs for girls at each stage in their development. Our heart is in Chicago, but in recent years we’ve expanded to include programs in Bloomington, Illinois, Baltimore, Maryland and Dallas, Texas.
Girls in the Game has a part-time Up2Us coaching position available. The coach will help support our programs by coaching at 2-3 After School sites and supporting our Teen and Game Day Programs. The coach will be compensated for 900 hours of work between September 2018 and September 2019. The coach will also receive an AmeriCorps education stipend after their service. Days and hours are flexible and can be determined with the hiring manager. There is flexibility for the coach to work fewer hours during the school year and more hours during the summer months. The coach must be available to attend all Up2Us and Girls in the Game training. The coach must also be available during after school time at least 2 days per week during the school year.
Girls in the Game has one Up2Us-affiliated position available and seeks energetic, driven applicants who have experience working with youth to:
- Co-lead programming at sites throughout Chicago
- Chaperone one Saturday activity each month
- Attend bi-weekly coaches’ training meetings
- Organize program materials and equipment, and assist with other special projects as available, and
- Communicate with girls, parents/guardians and site contacts
Girls in the Game needs applicants who can start in September.
- Experience working with youth and leading groups required
- Some college coursework in health, education or related field preferred
- Athletic ability is not required, but applicants must be able to learn and demonstrate the basic skills of multiple sports and fitness activities.
- Must be able to travel regularly to sites throughout Chicago, preferably by car
- Available to work at least two afternoons per week from September 2018-September 2019
Licensing and Requirements
- Employment is contingent upon proof of eligibility to work.
- Verification of degree/credentials
- Background check and fingerprint clearance
- Access to a car is strongly preferred, with a valid driving license.
- Agreement to uphold all Girls in the Game Policies and Procedures (by signature)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally with individuals and groups
- Ability to maintain appropriate boundaries with participants and staff, both on and off duty as defined by organizational ethical codes
- Ability to solve problems and resolve conflicts effectively
- Commitment to and experience in working with people from diverse ethnic, cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Possess a caring attitude towards fellow employees and participants served
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
This position requires:
Frequently: Sitting, Walking, Running, Active Play, Seeing, Hearing, Speaking, Standing, Carrying, Driving
Occasionally: Stooping, Lift up to 40 lbs, Squatting, Kneeling, Bending, Pushing/Pulling
Seldom: Climbing, Twisting
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is a fast paced environment and the noise level is usually moderate.
Up2Us coaches receive extensive training through Up2Us’ Center for Sports-Based Youth Development. More than 500 coaches have provided opportunities for 75,000 youth to be active, learn skills, and stay out of trouble through sports. Learn more at www.up2us.org.
This position reports to the Senior Manager of Programming and Training.
The Up2Us coach will receive a regular stipend amounting to $7,770 over the course of their service year, as well as an educational stipend at the end of their year of service.
Level of Language Proficiency
English-speaking ability required, Spanish-speaking ability preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org – Put “Up2Us” in the subject line of your email
- Availability 2-3 days a week on weekdays from 9am – 6:30pm
- Number of hours available or desired per week
- Available method of transportation (have a car or are familiar with public transit)