1529 S. 22nd Street
Diversified Community Services is a deeply-embedded neighborhood based nonprofit agency serving nearly 8,000 children, youth, adults, and families in the Point Breeze section of South Philadelphia. Diversified is a multi-purpose social service agency emphasizing education and skill-building while providing early childhood education as an integral function of its mission to serve Point Breeze’s low-income community. Diversified has been providing a comprehensive array of services to children and adults in the Point Breeze neighborhood of South Philadelphia for over a century. Services include:
- For young children: Early childhood education
- For school-age youth: Out-of-school time programming (after school and summer camp); and case management for at risk youth
- For adults: Employment training, parenting education, energy assistance programs, housing counseling programs, and financial literacy; and
- For the community at large: Affordable housing and community economic development
The Housing Counselor is responsible to obtain basic information, perform a thorough needs assessment, help clients make a financial/housing goal plan, and qualify clients for the housing department. This includes ensuring that all housing clients are properly screened and the intake process is complete prior to the start of the counseling session. In addition, the Housing Counselor will be provided the necessary training and skill-building in order to become eligible for and maintain the necessary Housing Counseling Certifications in order to be qualified as a Housing Counselor. The Housing Counselor will spend ½ weekly at Diversified’s Tasker Village Affordable Housing complex to assist residents with information and referrals to promote self-sufficiency through education and skill building.
· Provide initial screening of all housing clients and gather information necessary for assessments that includes
the client profile information, contact information, services sought, income, and demographic information.
· Collect specific documentation in accordance with funders’ guidelines.
· Utilize RX Office and CaseWorthy database systems to input and maintain accurate housing clients’ profile
· Conduct accurate needs assessment and assist with a goal plan for clients being referred to housing services
to determine needs and eligibility.
· Input data into database system(s) and process eligible clients within a timely manner.
· Identify underlying causes that led to the crisis. Make referrals/appointments for additional services as needed by the client both those available at Diversified and services provided by other organizations.
· Complete and submit accurate routine (weekly, etc.) status reports as required by funders.
· Interact with funders, banks, lending institutions and other housing and financial industry professionals in order
to process clients’ needs for assistance.
· Assist with the intake process for all workshops (First Time Homebuyer, Anti-Predatory, Fair Housing, Financial
Fitness, and Energy Conservation).
· Participate in the required series of trainings and tests necessary to be successfully obtain the required
certifications to be qualified as a Housing Counselor.
· Attend weekly individual and group meetings at Tasker Village in order to educate residents with self-sufficiency
and skill building
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
· Minimum of high school Diploma or Equivalent plus two (2) years working in Housing/Energy program setting
· Candidates who hold valid housing counseling certifications Credit Counseling, Default and Delinquency, and
First Time Home Buyers Certifications are preferred.
· Experience and proficiency with Rx Office housing counseling database preferred.
· Ability and desire to pursue Housing Counseling certifications from PHFA, NeighborWorks, and/or HUD.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills.
· Ability to interact with potentially challenging clients.
· Ability to work in a high-paced and stressful setting while maintaining professional standards when dealing with
clients, lenders, and other agencies.
· Good organizational skills and ability to prioritize job tasks.
· Strong computer skills, including good working knowledge of MS Office Suite and database management
practices and principles.
Medical and Dental Benefits
Paid Life Insurance
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required