Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and community-building programs to our neighborhood, empowering New Yorkers with opportunities to better their lives. More than 350 staff work in our organization, and our services impact 10,000 people every year. By helping our neighbors realize their goals, we build the vitality and success of East Harlem. For more information about Union Settlement, please visit our website at www.unionsettlement.org.
Position: Meals on Wheels Driver (On-Call)
Department: Senior Services
Reports to: Meals on Wheels Coordinator
Rate: $15 per hour
The Meals on Wheels (MOW) Driver will primarily be responsible for driving a Union Settlement van and/or truck to locations in East Harlem to deliver meals to homebound clients.
• Deliver meals to homebound clients on a daily basis.
• Use appropriate heating and cooling devices when packing meals.
• Package meals into hot and cold containers each day for delivery.
• Maintain accurate daily route sheet.
• Follow agency protocol and procedure to report any difficulty with meal delivery (i.e. client not home, not answering door) or changes in client status (i.e. slurred speech, deterioration in client appearance, confusion).
• Follow agency protocol and procedure to report any observable issues at the clients’ homes (visible tampering with door or locks).
• Follow agency protocol and procedure to report any information the client provides regarding planned absences (hospital stays, vacations, etc.) that would prevent the client from being home to receive his or her meal.
• Report any problems with the assigned vehicle to the MOW Coordinator immediately.
• Clean and sanitize all delivery bags, boxes, holding containers and truck compartments daily.
• Assist with kitchen and/or other program duties as assigned by the MOW Coordinator, the Deputy Director of Senior Services, or the Director of Senior Services.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Valid license to operate a vehicle in New York State required.
• At minimum three (3) years’ experience operating a vehicle.
• No convictions for driving while intoxicated in the prior two (2) years.
• No more than one moving violation within the prior two (2) years.
• English speaking and writing proficiency; Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
• Ability to lift and carry heavy objects (30+ pounds), as well as walk to deliver meals daily.
• Good organizational ability, time management, and interpersonal skills (ability to connect with clients and work with a team).
• Knowledge of and desire to work with aging populations.
Please include Cover Letter and Resume.
UNION SETTLEMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Union Settlement is an on-the-ground resource for East Harlem residents of all ages, and a passionate advocate for the needs of underserved communities. Since opening our doors in 1895, we have brought education, wellness and…