LOCATION: New York, NY,
POSITION TYPE: Permanent, Full Time
APPLICATION DEADLINE: December 20, 2020
COMPENSATION: Salary range: $55-60k, commensurate with experience; comprehensive benefits package, and generous vacation policy. Professional development opportunities are supported when feasible.
The OpEd Project is operating remotely during the COVID-19 Pandemic. This position will be virtual until in-person operations resume, at which point this person will be expected to report to our New York City office.
ABOUT THE OPED PROJECT
The OpEd Project is a social venture and leadership organization, founded to change who writes history. We are a community of journalists, thought leaders and change agents who actively share knowledge, resources and connections across color, creed, class, sexuality, gender, ability and beyond. Through our nationally recognized curriculum, our team of journalist mentors, and through a portfolio of programs in partnership with leading institutions across the nation and the globe, we accelerate the ideas and impact of underrepresented voices, including women of all backgrounds. We have been covered by most major media. We have stunning results.
- The story we tell becomes the world we live in.
- The world becomes more intelligent when it is more inclusive.
- The best ideas, regardless of where they come from, should have a chance to be heard and to change the world.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The OpEd Project is looking for a thoughtful and detail-oriented professional to manage the day-to-day operations and provide peace-of-mind to our passionate and dedicated team.
The Finance and Operations Manager is responsible for the operations, administration, and finances across The OpEd Project, including: maintaining organizational systems, managing internal financial controls and serving as the point of contact for our bookkeeping firm, coordinating human resources, and providing project and administrative support to the senior team. This person will report to the CEO with additional support from our interim COO for the initial months. They will then help hire and report to our incoming COO (anticipated by March/April 2021).
This is an amazing position for someone who wants to develop a career at the nexus of media, social justice, entrepreneurism, women's rights and thought leadership.
The Finance and Operations Manager is an essential member of our small yet mighty team.
- Serve as the primary interface with our external finance team.
- Regularly review internal financial controls and ensure all policies and procedures are clearly documented and communicated.
- Coordinate payment of invoices and reimbursements, process checks, codify credit card expenses in Expensify, and ensure all expenses are properly accounted for according to the company’s Travel & Expense Policy.
- Work with third-party accountants to ensure all expenses are correctly entered and coded in QuickBooks.
- Process monthly contractor invoices and payroll through Bill.com
- Meet with the CEO, senior leadership team, and third-party accountants on a monthly basis to review financials and cash flow analysis.
- Manage information and communications between internal team and external finance team.
- Manage and support staff in using billing and reimbursement systems.
ADMINISTRATION AND OPERATIONS
- Coordinate weekly senior-staff meetings.
- Provide basic technology support and troubleshooting and coordinate with IT consultants as needed.
- Complete general office work and serve as Office Manager to maintain central and virtual office.
- Manage shared information systems (server, calendars, email, etc.) and manage physical asset inventory (computers, server, phones, etc.)
- Oversee administrative functions and facilities; provide administrative support to the CEO with scheduling, expense reports, travel arrangements, and other duties as required.
- Maintain and coordinate a calendar of Board meetings, liaise with external finance team, and support the CEO in preparing for Board meetings. Keep minutes of all Board meetings. (The OpEd Project is a hybrid social business comprised of both an LLC and a nonprofit.)
- Review annual renewals for insurance policies and ensure policies are renewed on time.
- Provide travel assistance and logistics for annual staff retreats and Holiday events.
- Responsible for connecting with office/storage management, gift mailing, managing merchandise and supply orders and inventory, triaging mail.
- Administer Microsoft Office, LassPass password manager, GSuite access and other software accounts
- Support the on-boarding and off-boarding of employees.
- Coordinate with employees on benefits enrollment and respond to basic benefits and other HR-related questions.
- Maintain and update the Employee Handbook.
- Tracking and reconciling vacation and sick leave balances, and managing staff holiday, vacation, and sick leave requests.
- Maintain company CRM, employee directory, and contact information
- Serving as the point of contact for our third-party PEO, TriNet
- Deep alignment with the OpEd Project’s mission and values
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 2-4 years working in administration, operations, and/or finance, with a track record of successfully managing a bustling enterprise
- Highly motivated to learn the inner workings of a small, but growing social business.
- Systems oriented, with a demonstrated ability to create, implement, and maintain procedures and protocols
- Strong analytical skills (ability to assess and translate information into next steps)
- Nimble and driven, can identify problems and solutions quickly
- Excellent judgment, knows when to act and when to consult and seek permission before acting
- Extremely organized, impeccable attention to detail
- Superior communication skills (written/verbal)
- Warm, professional, personable communication style
- Tech-savvy; and able to use technology for greater efficiency and improved collaboration
People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. The OpEd Project is committed to a diverse workplace, and to supporting our staff with ongoing career development opportunities. The OpEd Project is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions, in accordance with state and federal law.
- Please submit your resume, cover letter, and three references (include name, relationship, phone number, and email address) HERE.