120 Wall Street
The Urban Homesteading Assistance Board (UHAB) is seeking an Assistant Director of Homeownership to assist low- to moderate-income households to take advantage of affordable ownership opportunities.
UHAB supports affordable housing and self-reliance by organizing, developing and supporting low-income resident-controlled housing co-operatives and tenant associations. UHAB’s activities include: advocacy, organizing, classroom and on-site training, direct technical assistance, development consulting and services to other developers of affordable housing, development and sponsorship of new co-ops; and services to member co-ops that include bookkeeping, insurance, legal services, bulk purchasing, newsletters, online information and loans for those seeking to be co-op homeowners. We work primarily in NYC but are expanding nationwide as interest in Cooperatives and Community Land Trusts is growing.
More recently UHAB has expanded its services to existing affordable cooperatives, developers and for its own projects. These services include advertising, marketing and carefully vetting apartment applications and performing resale/re-rental compliance monitoring. In addition, UHAB’s lending subsidiary offers small loans to purchasers of affordable cooperative apartments.
UHAB’s work is carried out at our offices in Lower Manhattan by 40 dedicated professionals. The Assistant Director of Homeownership will report directly to UHAB’s Director of Operations.
Through marketing, outreach and effective administration this position ensures that eligible households have access to homeownership opportunities. The Assistant Director of Homeownership will be UHAB’s primary liaison with the community, the City, the State, other organizations, and developers to identify and secure homeownership opportunities to be advertised, and otherwise promoted, by UHAB to low and moderate income families. Once these opportunities are identified, the position will require that the Assistant Director be able to manage, oversee and successfully shepherd applicants through the application process. Additional responsibilities will include qualifying applicants for available subsidies and loans as well as supervising staff and volunteers. The Assistant Director will be the chair of UHAB’s committee on filling vacancies. This committee identifies issues and challenges related to all aspects of providing and promoting homeownership opportunities. The Assistant Director will be expected to refine and manage UHAB’s policies and procedures as they relate to apartment and loan application outreach and processing. This position will require night meetings and travel.
- Marketing: Developing and implementing marketing plans for new affordable co-op or rental apartment opportunities, including housing lotteries under NYC HPD’s Marketing Guidelines, apartments in existing co-ops, and other homeownership programs or opportunities. Marketing this service to co-ops, owners, developers and others to seek out future opportunities.
- Application Processing: Processing applications for subsidies, apartment purchase or rental, and for homeowner loans for co-ops or other ownership opportunities. This includes Section 8, AHC grants, first time home buyer grants, share loans, and applications for vacant co-op and rental apartments.
- Policy and Procedures: The Assistant Director will be responsible for the development and implementation of policy and programs relating to the sale and qualification of apartment and loan applications. This will involve the planning and moving outreach strategies, recording and tracking detailed information, and organizing all statistical data.
- Supervision: Several staff members perform the work as part of their other functions. The Assistant Director will coordinate and supervise these staff in their performance of this work.
The successful candidate will be an ultra-organized and detail-oriented entrepreneurial self-starter interested in providing services aimed at increasing affordable housing opportunities in New York as well as the sustainability of low-income cooperatives and rentals.
We are seeking a candidate who
- Has a strong interest in affordable housing and cooperative ownership,
- Is competent in Process Management,
- Is able to work in a highly organized and efficient manner, with accurate and reliable results,
- Demonstrated ability to work well and in a positive manner with people of diverse backgrounds,
- Has excellent computer and database management skills,
- Prior experience with loan processing software a plus,
- Is proficient with Microsoft Excel,
- Has a strong sense of community service and customer engagement,
- Can help applicants through the application processes with professionalism and patience,
- Is an excellent “multi-tasker” who can keep track of a number of simultaneous projects and deadlines,
- Is organized, consistent, motivated, and positive,
- Has the ability to work both as part of a team and a leader, in an environment that values and requires openness, transparency, and information sharing,
- Is persistent and optimistic in the face of obstacles, and
- Has personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and dedication to UHAB’s mission.
- Additional languages a plus.
- Familiarity with HPD Affordable Housing Development Programs, Housing Lotteries, New York Fair Housing Laws, and loan underwriting a plus.
UHAB's generous benefits package includes health care, dental benefits, 403B, a Flexible Spending Account, and accrued paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email an updated resume and your cover letter to: jobs[at]uhab.org
Subject Line: Homeownership
**Applications without cover letters will not be considered. **
UHAB works with a diverse community of tenants, community members and co-op shareholders and believes that the UHAB Staff should reflect this diversity. Women, people of color, LBGTQ people, and people from low-income and working class backgrounds are encouraged to apply. UHAB is an equal opportunity employer.