Unchained At Last, the organization that started the growing national movement to end child marriage in the United States -- and already succeeded in two U.S. states -- seeks a Director of Policy and Advocacy to lead that movement.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Policy and Advocacy will lead the historic movement to eliminate a human-rights abuse that destroys girls' lives. Specifically, the Director of Policy and Advocacy will get the opportunity to:
- Develop and implement short- and long-term strategies to end forced and child marriage;
- Research and draft federal and state legislation;
- Testify at federal and state legislative hearings;
- Meet with federal and state legislators and their staffers;
- Identify, recruit and coordinate with allies across the U.S. and globally;
- Organize Chain-Ins, Unchained's unique form of protest;
- Raise awareness through media interviews, op-ed articles and presentations at conferences and other venues; and
- Oversee Unchained’s Advocacy Associate and Advocacy Interns.
Requirements for this position include:
- Graduate degree (preferably in law, social work, public policy or similar field);
- At least three years’ relevant professional experience;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail and superior organizational skills;
- Willingness to travel; and
- Deep commitment to Unchained’s mission.
This position offers competitive salary and benefits. Partial-telecommute options are available.
ABOUT UNCHAINED AT LAST
Girls, women and others across the U.S. often are pressured, tricked, threatened or beaten until they agree to wed. For them, marriage might mean a lifetime of rape, abuse and domestic servitude.
Unchained, founded and led by a forced-marriage survivor, is the only organization dedicated to ending forced and child marriage in the U.S., through direct services and advocacy. Unchained already has achieved two historic victories in its advocacy work: In 2018, Delaware and New Jersey became the first two U.S. states to eliminate all marriage before age 18. Two down, 48 to go.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To be considered for this position, submit your application and resume here.