Virtual Self-Help Center
Texas Legal Services Centers is a leading legal service provider staffed with passionate employees who extend themselves in understanding the needs of underserved Texans. We advocate for social justice on behalf of especially vulnerable people - the elderly, the disabled, veterans, crime victims, children and families. We seek team members who share our passion and desire to serve our mission, and we need your help. If you are an individual who flourishes in an autonomous environment, gets along well with others, and performs with the highest degree of professionalism, then we know you will make our unstoppable team even stronger. We currently have openings for the following position(s):
Dynamic, energetic, adaptable, organized, and client-centered lawyers to help start up a new project assisting low-income Texans navigate their legal issues. TLSC’s new Virtual Self-Help Center (VSHC) will provide virtual real-time legal assistance to low-income Texans, assist clients with drafting and filing court documents, and conduct virtual legal clinics to rural areas throughout the state.
This position is considered an exempt, full-time position for purposes of federal wage law.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
J.D. Degree and licensure by the Supreme Court of Texas.
· In real-time, assist clients navigate the Texas Law Help website
· Assist clients in drafting and filing legal documents through e-filing, and communicate with opposing parties on behalf of the client to resolve the client’s legal issue.
· Work with other TLSC projects, as well as outside organizations, to provide clients with quality legal assistance
· Work with rural county law libraries to facilitate monthly virtual legal clinics
· Strive to provide the highest quality legal assistance to eligible clients.
- Demonstrate knowledge and expertise of the law and legal system, especially in areas that impact family law.
- Respond to client’s questions in a patient, compassionate, culturally sensitive and trauma-informed manner.
- Conduct an intake interview according to TLSC policy, confirm the eligibility for services, and check for conflicts of interest.
- Explain the limited nature of legal services that can be offered.
- Analyze the legal problems, and provide proper referrals, if necessary.
- Conduct the legal research and factual investigation needed to adequately perform the tasks undertaken on behalf of the client.
- Demonstrate proficiency with TLSC’s case management system, Adobe and Microsoft Office products and social media tools and the ability to learn new technologies to carry out job functions.
- Maintain the highest ethical and professional standards as a member of the State Bar and stay current with updates and changes to the law. Adhere to the ABA Standards for Civil Legal Services Providers.
- Maintain the highest level of professionalism when working with other TLSC staff, other Legal Aid programs, governmental and funding entities, and the public.
- Embrace and support TLSC’s overall mission, standards, policies, and confidentiality requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director, Deputy Director, Associate Director and the SHC Managing Attorney.
This work is professional and requires the following physical activities (reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions):
- Sitting for long periods of time, occasional bending, squatting, kneeling, and good finger dexterity and feeling; frequent repetitive motions
- Occasional lifting of files, supplies, and office equipment.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this position. These statements are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees in this position. This position is FLSA exempt. A high level of organizational and project management skills are required for this position.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Important! If you are interested in one of the positions, please send a cover letter and resume to the Human Resources Department at email@example.com.
Resumes not accompanied by a cover letter will not be considered.