We have open positions for Project Manager/Event Manager -Transformation Projects. This position can be located anywhere in the United States (DC/MD/VA area a plus). Location near a major airport is desired as up to 30% travel can be required.
Position Objective: The Heart of America (HOA) Project Manager (PM) will lead projects, including space makeovers and resource distributions, from the conceptual phase through the execution of the project event and wrap up. Strong communication and organizational skills will be used to coordinate with internal HOA stakeholders, engage external stakeholders in active participation, and facilitate all tasks and deliverables to execute highly engaging and impactful project. This person leads in the mission of providing communities with modern learning environments in which students can learn and grow. The Project Manager is at the forefront of overseeing space transformations and providing engaging experiences for all stakeholders.
Experience with light construction or remodeling, along with hands on DIY experience highly desired.
HOA is a national nonprofit organization that designs spaces for schools and learning environments across the country. We believe that space matters - if you are passionate about making a difference, this job is for you!
Coordinate and execute HOA space makeover and resource distribution projects, including budget management, project preparation and planning, on-site preparation and event day logistics/management. (35%)
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of assigned project in collaboration with internal team, sponsors, and local partners.
- Maintain, track and update budgets for each associated project. Ensure that invoices and expenses are reviewed, approved, and reconciled adhering to protocol and deadlines.
- Collaborate with all pertinent HOA departments: Design, Communications, Innovation, and Operations to ensure all deliverables are accounted for as well as flag any budgetary or timeline concerns within these areas, related to the project(s).
- Develop, maintain and update project procedures based on current best practices or in response to specific sponsor needs.
- Identify and initiate innovative project/program solutions and efficiencies to improve internal/external outcomes and results.
- Conduct research/knowledge sharing on school communities, including political, economic and social matters, and coordinate outreach accordingly.
- Manage and engage teams of volunteers, including corporate, local, and youth volunteers.
- Organize travel arrangements for participating team, including flight, lodging, and local transportation.
- Provide input into design for revitalized educational spaces.
- Develop and manage construction schedule with Innovation team and oversee contractors as needed.
- Work in partnership with organizational teams to research and secure vendors for makeover, including but not limited to construction contractors, photographer or videographer, signage, furniture and décor, and food/catering.
- Manage on-site media relations in conjunction with designated HOA Spokesperson.
Coach community partners throughout project planning period and follow-up after end of project. (15%)
- Clearly outline expectations of project outcomes, local community responsibilities, HOA commitment, and follow-up requirements with local school community and related partners.
- Provide school community with a timeline and checklist of expectations, to be reviewed and updated on a weekly basis to ensure project stays on track.
- Serve as main point of contact with the local school community and other partners, providing regular updates and working collaboratively to ensure everything is in place for ribbon cutting/event day.
- Respond to regular ongoing partner inquiries regarding the project.
Manage and promote relationships with key stakeholders, ensuring strong and sustainable partnerships as well as lead HOA staff, temporary employees, and volunteers on project sites. (20%)
- Facilitate/participate in weekly or periodic conference calls and meetings with sponsors and school representatives to ensure tasks and timelines are clear and overall program objectives and goals are met.
- Establish and manage strong working relationships with project partners.
- Develop supporting materials/documents to guide stakeholders through timelines to ensure timely delivery of goods and services.
- Provide outstanding customer service and ensure overall HOA program excellence.
- Work with Communications to lead PR conference calls and interact with PR professionals.
- Update and edit media alerts; ensure appropriate branding and signage for ribbon cutting.
- Collect and coordinate VIP invitations.
- Lead HOA team, temporary employees, and volunteers during event preparation and through event day.
Oversee and track deliverables and shipping logistics for all projects (15%)
- Work with Director of Operations to order and track all technology, books, furniture and supplies for all projects
- Track all large shipments via HOA vendors
Assist Project Managers on selected makeover projects. (15%)
- Support transformation projects on location by assisting with all prep needs regarding space transformations and volunteer engagement. This may include: inventorying supplies, running errands, painting, cleaning, moving/building furniture, installing artwork/flooring, etc.
- While on location, serve in the role of volunteer lead by directing anywhere between 5 – 50 volunteers in a designated role
Skills and Knowledge
- Proven project management track record: can establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without close supervision. (3+ years project management experience)
- Proven record of managing program budgets including creating program budgets and delivering program results within budget
- Event management for medium to large scale events
- Building, construction, design or architecture experience STRONGLY preferred
- Experience with volunteer management and support
- Experience building and establishing relationships with organization stakeholders
- Event management or knowledge of building/construction industries strongly preferred
Abilities & Competencies:
- Highly organized and skilled at managing multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management
- Ability to develop and direct long-term projects as they relate to the strategic goals of the organization
- Establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without close supervision
- Must be able to work consistently with remote colleagues on a day-to-day basis and juggle core duties simultaneously while on site for project execution
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- Ability to achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget
- Must meet strict deadlines on a consistent basis
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Ability to get along well with diverse personalities and interact with people at different levels within an organization with tact, flexibility and discretion
- Ability to conduct presentations in small and large group settings
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including some weekend work
- Willingness to travel (significant travel is required at times 30%);
- Technologically proficient (Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc…)
- Basic DIY/light construction skills
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to drive an SUV or mini-van.