BronxWorks helps individuals and families improve their economic and social well-being. From toddlers to seniors, we feed, shelter, teach, and support our neighbors to build a stronger community. In all aspects of our work, we strive for the highest ethical and performance standards and is guided by the belief that people are to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of their present situation or past experiences. We have 34 locations throughout the borough providing a variety of programs that offer assistance in the areas of family, children and youth support, educational services, elder care, homelessness, mental health and workforce development. We are an employer of choice for anyone interested in a meaningful career in the social services field.
- Reach out to and develop strategies to connect with high utilizers at the BronxCare Emergency Departments (ED).
- Provide case management to identified homeless/unstably-housed individuals frequenting the BronxCare Emergency Department (ED.)
- Work closely with staff in key departments at the hospital such as Social Work, Care Transitions, Psych, and Security.
- Document all interactions with, or on behalf of, clients.
- Operate multiple databases to further develop a profile for engaged individuals for the project.
- Communicate case developments to the relevant partnering project staff/programs.
- Complete program reports on a monthly basis, or more frequently as required.
- Maintain familiarity with program resources available on- and off-site.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Program Specific Responsibilities:
- Work directly out of the BronxCare Emergency Department to engage and consult with homeless/unstably housed individuals frequenting the emergency department.
- Collaborate with BronxCare Hospital and BronxWorks staff to engage and provide services for the hospital’s highest emergency department utilizers as identified by the project team.
- Provide appropriate housing and/or social-services referrals on a walk-in basis for homeless/unstably housed individuals who arrive at the emergency department.
- Liaise with BronxCare hospital staff to coordinate client services including, but not limited to, medical care, psychiatric evaluation, psychiatric care, discharge planning, emergency shelter or stabilization bed referral, and housing placement.
- Occasionally accompany clients to appointments if needed.
- Operate multiple databases to provide health and housing-related information on engaged individuals to project partners.
- Develop a caseload of identified clients following interactions.
- Provide regular reports to project partners on number of clients engaged and related interventions.
- Provide training for hospital personnel in areas such as housing applications, the housing placement process, and writing a psychosocial evaluation.
- Strong preference will be given to candidates who are proficient in Spanish.
- Highly self-motivated, willing to take initiative, and enjoys the challenge of solving problems independently.
- Flexibility with work schedule, as shift will require staff member to work very late hours.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good writing skills.
- Ability to use a computer for prolonged periods.
- Ability to travel for a minimum of 1 mile within a reasonable amount of time and in all types of weather, including inclement weather.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- Minimum of one year of experience in related field.
- Proficiency in modern business communications including personal computers electronic mail, voicemail, facsimile, and copier equipment.
BronxWorks offers a variety of benefits to full-time salaried employees as well as part-time salaried employees who work at least 20 hours per week year-round.
- Generous paid time off for personal, vacation, parental, and medical leave
- 12 paid holidays.
- Comprehensive medical, and life insurance coverage care for employees and their families, at little or no cost to employees.
- A pension plan that is 100% employer paid
- Two tax deferred annuity plans and employee assistance in maximizing the pension plan and tax deferred annuity plans to prepare for retirement.
- TransitChek – Employees may use TransitChek to have money taken out of their pretax salaries to pay for their public transportation commute.
- Free and confidential assessment, counseling, and referral service, to assist employees and their families with a wide range of personal problems.
ADDITIONALLY, BronxWorks Offers:
- A comprehensive monthly training calendar
- Access to some scholarship opportunities
- Non-financial support and internship opportunities for employees who return to school, particularly for their Master of Social Work degrees
Level of Language Proficiency
Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English language is required. Authorization to work in the United States for any employer is mandatory.
Minimum Education Required