Overview of AJWS:
American Jewish World Service (AJWS) is the leading Jewish organization working to pursue justice and fight poverty in the developing world. By supporting hundreds of social change organizations in 19 countries, we respond to the most pressing issues of our time—from disasters, genocide and hunger, to the persecution of women and minorities worldwide. With Jewish values and a global reach, AJWS is making a difference in millions of lives and bringing a more just and equitable world closer for all.
The primary responsibility of the Development Officer is to increase the giving levels of existing AJWS major donors and to engage new prospects through AJWS’s base of support and other sources at the gift level of $10,000+ to achieve fundraising targets and goals. The Development Officer will also work in concert with the local Steering Committee of AJWS’s Global Circle, a network of emerging young donors and global human rights advocates in their 20s and 30s, to plan community programming and special events that will serve to increase Global Circle leadership opportunities, achieve fundraising revenue and energetically engage with AJWS.
Responsibilities Include, but not limited to:
· Manage a portfolio of high-level individual donors and prospects
· Develop clear short-term and long-range plans for the portfolio that are both realistic and challenging
· Steward the New York Global Circle portfolio to cultivate and foster emerging Global Circle leadership, and manage the local Global Circle Steering Committee
· Plan special events that will serve to increase Global Circle participation and achieve fundraising revenue
· Collaborate with divisional colleagues on events, steward activities, and database reports
· Successfully identify prospects, funding opportunities, and strategies that will help achieve annual and longer term development goals
· Speak and write articulately about American Jewish World Service, its mission, policies, culture, values, history, key stakeholders, programs, and finances
· Stay abreast of philanthropic, economic, social, and community trends related to AJWS
· Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of three years of successful development experience with a focus on major gifts or relevant experience within a complex and dynamic organization.
· Experience with face-to-face major gift solicitations and proven success closing gifts.
· Demonstrated achievement identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gifts from individuals.
· Must thrive in a collaborative team environment.
· Prior success developing and implementing innovative and strategic fundraising events.
· Ability to multi-task; flexible work style, detail oriented and well-organized, with ability to meet deadlines, work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment, including evenings and weekends, when required.
· Experience working effectively and respectfully with members of the senior leadership team, including the President, national board members and other high-level volunteers.
· Strong commitment to the mission and vision of AJWS with the ability and desire to serve as a compelling ambassador for the organization.
· Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as necessary.
· Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Office, Raiser’s Edge required.
People of color; lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, trans and gender non-conforming people; women; and differently abled people are encouraged to apply. We also encourage applications from people of diverse religious, spiritual and cultural backgrounds.
Authorization to work in the US is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
For immediate consideration please apply below:
Please attach your resume and cover letter within the application. Please put your name in the title of both documents. Applications submitted without a personalized cover letter will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with AJWS. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
AJWS is an equal opportunity employer and provides competitive salaries and benefits.