Details: Competitive salary commensurate with experience
The Education Organizer, Bay Area is a full-time, exempt position on Rocketship’s California Bay Area Growth and Community Engagement (GCE) team serving the South Bay schools in San Jose. With the support and guidance of the Manager of Growth Community Engagement, and the Bay Area GCE team, this role is responsible for leading the region’s work to achieve the vision of parent leadership and drive parent organizing and community mobilizing efforts throughout Santa Clara County. This role serves as the GCE school liaison and works to partner with school leaders in support of parent engagement outcomes both in the schools and community. This position will be primarily based in the San Jose region and serve students and families from Rocketship schools in City Council Districts 3, 5 or 7 (respectively).
This position is critical to regional efforts to support parent engagement across Rocketship schools in the Bay Area by partnering effectively with school leaders, families, community organizations, faith-based institutions, private sector institutions, and civic leaders as key collaborators and stakeholders in advocacy in education equity. This hands-on, regional role is part of a dynamic community organizing team, and the Education Organizer must be prepared to mobilize Charter School parents both at the macro community level as well as organize within the school environment, create and implement trainings, collect and analyze data, and drive results at multiple school sites within the assigned City Council District of San Jose.
This position works closely with schools and the regional Bay Area GCE Team, with a focus on building relationships, leadership development of Charter School parents, strategic thinking and problem-solving, and support of regional goals through the PICO model or organizing.
This position requires moderate travel in the greater Bay Area region, flexibility of schedule, including willingness to work weekends and evening hours as events demand.
· Build and lead the mission-critical work around parent engagement, leadership, and advocacy;
· Actively engage Rocketship parents in further investing in their leadership skills and organizing around expanding Rocketship's impact;
· Complete 20 one-on-one relational meetings every week with current and potential parent leaders and other important stakeholders;
· Foster relationships and develop champions with community based organizations, faith leaders, elected officials, civic and community leaders that lead to positive engagement of the community and neighborhoods where Rocketship has and will have a presence;
· Lead the implementation and development of Rocketship's parent empowerment and advocacy model to ensure that parents are deeply engaged in Rocketship's work and are highly effective advocates for educational reform throughout the city;
· Develop and implement parental engagement strategies that lead to a meaningful parent-led advocacy and activism. Advise on school-level strategies in support of parent empowerment;
· Support all charter renewal and application processes in order to support all high performing Rocketship schools to be successfully renewed and further develop Rocketship's impact and growth in the surrounding area.
· Have significant evening and weekend work.
This is an outstanding opportunity to play a critical role in public education reform in surrounding area and beyond. The Education Organizer must believe that no student's life is subject to the destiny of demographics.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and experience:
· The ability to position Rocketship in the policy arena as an agent for positive change through strong communication and strategic skills;
· Two or more years as a community organizer or deeply engaged in grassroots movements;
· Demonstrated ability to interact and cultivate support among diverse constituencies, including public officials, key external agencies and stakeholders;
· Verbal and written fluency in a second language required. Spanish strongly preferred.
· A bachelor's degree preferred.
· A valid driver's license and access to a car for transportation.
The ideal candidate will also possess some combination of the following:
· In-depth experience managing and/or leading community organizing campaigns;
· Experience inside or working with an urban, public school district;
· Experience with local Bay Area politics;
· Desire to learn and openness to challenge;
· Strong public speaking, writing, and analytical skills;
· Capacity to think strategically and critically about social, economic, cultural, and political issues affecting a community;
· A significant network of local and community officials to aid in Rocketship's local work and impact;
· A results-oriented, goal-driven, team approach to work;
· Confidence and persuasiveness compelling enough to bring divergent groups together;
· Experience working in a high-growth (100% annual growth) start-up environment;
· A sense of urgency; and
· Two or more years as a manager, including a demonstrable track record of assembling effective teams, strategic planning, communicating a vision and setting priorities, managing team execution, delegating, mentoring others and developing emerging leaders.
How to Apply
To apply, please visit http://www.rocketshipschools.org/join-our-team/network-support-opportunities/
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools' employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
Minimum Education Required