10 City Square
Location: AMC Headquarters, Boston, MA
Reports to: Editorial Director
Summary Description: The Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC) seeks an experienced managing editor to oversee print and online production for AMC Outdoors magazine. The print edition of AMC Outdoors is a four-color, feature-driven, 64-page magazine published four times a year, with a monthly publishing schedule online. We won four Association Media & Publishing awards last year. Help us do it again next year!
The managing editor serves as a liaison between our three-person editorial team, our creative team, our in-house marketing and media affairs team, and our outside printer. While this person will have opportunities to write, edit, and work on creative projects, this is first and foremost a production position and requires at least 3 years of directly relevant professional experience. Candidates without a demonstrated production background will not be considered for this role. The ideal candidate will have impeccable organizational skills, with a fanatical accountability to deadlines and production standards, as well as a passion for creative, compelling content and for the outdoors.
The next year is a big one for us, as we transition to a newly formed in-house creative department, redesign the magazine, and investigate new print and paper options. The managing editor will be key to all of these endeavors and will lead the latter. Enthusiasm and flexibility are musts.
We also like to laugh a lot. Puns welcome.
- Creates, maintains, and manages annual production schedule
- Serves as chief enforcer of all deadlines in said production schedule: story ideas, photo research, copy due, layouts, art review, copyfit, runsheets, insertion orders, ad art and copy, listings downloads, book map review, multiple rounds of editing and proofing; also: web production, monthly e-newsletter, etc.
- Shepherds content (print and digital) through all steps of above processes
- Manages monthly online publication of digital content, including building pages, formatting stories, SEO, resizing photos, building slideshows, exploring new multimedia tools, and staying up to date on best practices for WordPress and plug-ins
- Constantly looks for efficiencies and improvements to all current procedures
- Manages relationship with printer, creating and tracking print orders, mailings, and payment; acts as liaison to membership team, preparing subscription list for printer; in the coming year will conduct research and lead transition to upgraded paper stock, reviewing press alternatives
- Manages relationship with outside media sales company, overseeing ad placement in magazine and tracking ad sales and delivery of all materials
- Manages production of house ads, overseeing insertion orders, runsheets, and production standards
- Manages all aspects of magazine’s activity listings section, AKA Backcountry: downloading and formatting listings from database; sharing listings with other departments for review; obsessively editing for house style, widows, and orphans
- Edits other departments of magazine, currently including: Masthead, Inbox, Get Out, Tributes
- Archives all files
- Submits and tracks freelancer invoices, freelance budget, and credit card statements
- Participates in all magazine planning meetings and discussions; brainstorms ideas for new content
- Will assist in shepherding magazine through print redesign in the coming year, participating in all levels of process
- Participates in photo research and maintenance of photo asset management system
- Handles all aspects of classified advertising
- Reporting and writing stories, length and type to be determined by experience level
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of professional print production experience
- Minimum of 3 years of professional online production experience
- Expert-level comfort with Adobe InDesign, InCopy, Photoshop, Acrobat
- Expert-level comfort with WordPress and latest SEO best practices
- Familiarity with other CMS and with photo asset management systems (e.g. Merlin)
- Experience in writing and reviewing freelance contracts, familiarity with rights management
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and to work collaboratively with our crack team and other departments, exhibiting humor, diplomacy, and reliability in a deadline-driven environment
Helpful Qualifications and Experience:
- Experienced writer, with published clips
- Experience training, mentoring, and managing interns
- Passion for outdoor conservation and recreation
- Familiarity with the Appalachian Mountain Club
Employee Perks: In addition to a competitive salary, AMC offers an exceptional benefits package.
- Generous paid time off benefits
- Health insurance with a hefty employer contribution
- A retirement plan with an employer match
- Access to various pro deals that help you purchase gear at deeply reduced rates
- Free admission to cultural and environmental venues throughout New England
- And more!
To Apply: Please include your resume and a cover letter when applying. The information should include three (3) professional references and your salary requirements. No phone calls, please.
The Appalachian Mountain Club has zero tolerance for child abuse or placing children in danger. AMC requires all employees who work in a program or facility which serves children, disabled persons or the elderly to have a criminal background record check performed on their name annually with employment contingent upon satisfactory results.
AMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in the workplace. AMC encourages the involvement of all people in its mission and activities, through its membership, programs, policies and procedures. Our goal is to be a community that is comfortable, inviting and accessible for people of any age, gender, race, religion, ethnicity, ability, sexual orientation or socioeconomic status. Join us!
Minimum Education Required