NYDIS is a 501(c)(3) faith-based federation of congregations, faith communities, human services providers, and charitable organizations who work in partnership to provide non-sectarian disaster readiness, response, and recovery services to New York City.
20-30 Hours Per Week onsite (with some flexibility for remote work) in our Midtown Manhattan office, or in the field. Routine office hours are M-F from 9-5. Reports to NYDIS’ Executive Director.
- Support engagement and education among NYC houses of worship, religious leaders, and faith-based nonprofits on disaster and public health emergency preparedness and resiliency throughout the five boroughs
- Assist the management of NYDIS’ citywide database/communications tool for faith-based organizations, houses of worship, and faith leaders
- Coordinate training events including venue reservations and logistics, registrations, instructor and course coordination, and advertising/outreach for all NYDIS trainings throughout NYC
- Monitor and promote training opportunities throughout NYC which may be of interest to the faith sector
- Assist in research, editing, and development of disaster preparedness, response, and recovery resources
- Assist in writing outreach materials to advertise trainings to partners, stakeholders, and beneficiaries
- Conduct research and corresponding training course edits and course development
- An interest or experience in faith-based organizations or settings
- Experience in outreach, faith sector outreach, & the training of faith or community leaders
- An interest in planning and managing training events
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evening or weekend hours
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Positive energy and the ability to work collaboratively with a small staff
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills both in-person and on the phone
- Exceptional writing skills to write reports and public-facing advertisements of events
- Computer skills—familiarity with Microsoft Office, Eventbrite, Wufoo & social media
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Graduate degree or graduate degree candidate is preferred
- Candidates working towards an emergency management, MPH, or MPA degree are encouraged to apply
- Experience in community engagement, disaster preparedness, or interfaith organizing is preferred
All qualified candidates should apply—candidates from ethnic and religious minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. NYDIS does not discriminate against any individual or group for reasons of age, color, creed, culture, gender, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or race.