Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) is seeking a General Counsel. BDS is a public defender office that represents approximately 30,000 people per year who cannot afford an attorney in a variety of legal proceedings, including criminal, family, and housing cases in Brooklyn and immigration cases in Manhattan. We represent and provide services to people who have diverse, complex, and multi-faceted needs. Our staff of 450 are attorneys, social workers, paralegals, investigators, and administrative staff as well as the leadership of the organization, consisting of executives, finance, HR, contracting and other functions.
The General Counsel will work primarily with the Executive Director and senior leadership.
· Conduct legal research and analysis on legal issues that affect the organization and prepare findings and recommendations.
· Develop and maintain familiarity with professional rules of New York State attorneys, social workers and other licensing of our staff and ensure compliance.
· Serve as in-house ethics counsel and oversee internal ethics protocol and compliance, including training and conflict protocols.
· Draft and review internal policies and other governance and operational documents.
· Oversee organizational response to potential and actual claims, lawsuits, and subpoenas.
· Supervise and coordinate with outside counsel when necessary.
· A Juris Doctor degree with at least eight years practicing law.
· 3+ years of practicing as in-house counsel, external corporate counsel, or equivalent experience.
· Experience with laws specific to New York non-profits is preferred.
· Admission to the New York bar or ability to become admitted.
· Passion for Brooklyn Defender Services’ mission with a demonstrated commitment to social justice.
· Working knowledge of contract negotiation, legal ethics, non-profit regulations, governance, and employment law, ideally with knowledge of applicable New York state and City laws.
· Experience in drafting, reviewing, revising, and negotiating contracts, ideally with significant experience in vendor contracts in general and software-as-a-service contracts in particular.
· Able to work both independently and in close cooperation with the Executive Director and senior leadership team.
· Detail-oriented with exceptional legal research and analytic skills.
· Excellent judgment and discretion, especially regarding confidential and sensitive matters.
· Ability to interface with tact and diplomacy at all levels of the organization and with outside individuals.
· Efficient, organized work style and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently and manage deadlines and emergencies.
· Ability to maintain composure and critical thinking skills under pressure.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled but we strongly encourage you to apply by May 21, 2021.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume. Applications should be emailed to Jessica Nitsche at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brooklyn Defender Services is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to creating and maintaining a diverse work environment and supports a nondiscrimination policy in all employment practices. We are focused on equity and inclusion and thus strongly encourage candidates of all identities, expressions, orientations, disabilities, experiences, and other characteristics that make us different to apply. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability or another reason, you may contact the Director of Human Resources, Christina Wallace, at email@example.com.
Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) is seeking a General Counsel. BDS is a public defender office that represents approximately 30,000 people per year who cannot afford an attorney in a variety of legal proceedings, including criminal, family…